Do you buy your own gear?

Billy

as inthe title really who (not business owners) supplies their own PPE and climbing gear saws etc as a self employed regular for a small business? Just want to see how it is for most people as there seems to be no real standards for governing this unless you get really serious and trying to assess my own situation.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I look to spend at least £1200 or more a year or £120 a month towards maintaining ppe, climbing equipment including my 200T.

Its all tax deductable and part of being self-employed, its also why i demand a much higher rate than an employed climber as i'm having to cover these costs, including my own public liability, accident insurance and training costs.

Although if your regularly employed by one guy you could work something out and they buy some of your kit?

Its all tax deductable and part of being self-employed, its also why i demand a much higher rate than an employed climber as i'm having to cover these costs, including my own public liability, accident insurance and training costs.

QUOTE]

Ditto.

Ditto what marc said. I do supply all of my climbing kit and 2 saws should they be needed. I don't supply heavy lowering gear and big saws unless whoever was using me didn't have any then i would buy some. I mostly work for the same guys time and again and i know that they would gladly chuck me some of their old stuff if i needed it. I know that some guys who regularly work together will have kit bought for them.

But as i subby i feel that kit should come out of my pocket rather than who im working for.

QUOTE]

Ditto.

Hi frank, I use freelance climbers and it is very very few that have they own insurance, they all seem to want to work of of ours, funny that. They do not desive MUCH higher rate just a higher rate, think they are pricing themself out of the market in these hard times. Companies are having cut prices to win work, so when do the freelancer's cut they rate!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Wattie

Out of interest whats the arverage cost of the insurance per year that a self employed person with no other employees would have with basic certs for ground and climbing work ?

Eastwater :001_smile:

i pay 585 a year. 2 million pl, 10 million employers, 5k of tools:001_cool:

IMO a self-employed person is just that, and should supply all the necessary kit to perform his duties, plus insurances etc. The cost of his hire should cover all his expenses plus his holiday fund, sick fund and so on. If you dont want to pay the money for a subbie, then put em on the books, pay them hol pay pay the taxes and NI costs.