Derriford Hospital (Plymouth) - landscaping & architecture

kevinjohnsonmbe

I thought that landscapers in the US only did such horrible work. To many trees and no place for them to grow in a mature environment. The bamboo or what ever is hanging from the side of the building really looks poor. Looks like the owners of the building were sold a bill of goods. Maybe a blind person could appreciate the job, just maybe!

easy-lift guy

PS, I just noticed the parking lot paving job as well. Who is responsible for issuing a final inspection for such piss poor work?

I guess the architectural beauty is in the eye of the beholder (probably only the contractor and his architect in this case and they must be viewing it through the bottom of empty champagne bottles!)

The only possible saving grace would be if the costs are laid to the carpark facility provider rather than the NHS. If it is the carpark operator, it's just possible they will have a QA department or someone with budgetary responsibility that will reject the works. If it's being costed to the NHS it's unlikely the expertise or interest exists to catch this before bill payment. There's actually zero mm of black top on the base/sub base in some areas and it's not like it can be excused as not yet finished otherwise why do the white lines and open the carpark?

Truly shocking! I'm going to raise through patient feedback and see what happens - will keep you posted!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well to be honest id much rather see the money spent inside the hospital than trying to make a kew gardens on the outside! money is always tight( or so were told).

any planting is going to cost to maintain too.

carl

Damn right.

Mrs Woodworks is a nurse there. They're so so understaffed it's nuts.

She will do a 12 1/2 hour shift and not have time to eat her lunch yet they waste money on fancy landscaping and architecture which will save nobodys life.

Damn right.

Mrs Woodworks is a nurse there. They're so so understaffed it's nuts.

She will do a 12 1/2 hour shift and not have time to eat her lunch yet they waste money on fancy landscaping and architecture which will save nobodys life.

Ditto; Mrs TCD the exact same with same experience. :001_smile:

well to be honest id much rather see the money spent inside the hospital than trying to make a kew gardens on the outside! money is always tight( or so were told).

any planting is going to cost to maintain too.

carl

No argument from me on that score, I'm a very grateful parent of a poorly child and we have nothing but the highest praise for all the staff we've met on the numerous visits we've had to children's HDU.

I have to get out and have a walk around the grounds when possible.

Yes, the money absolutely should be spent on medical services but there is money being spent on landscaping and poor practice now, which will cost even more later! I really hope it falls to Vinci car parks not to the NHS.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419269425.090224.jpg.a4564511d80a6932ab3a59a0bd286cfa.jpg[

ATTACH]172623[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419269467.754783.jpg.d05c843a1ace0291836f59809af068f5.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419269396.842645.jpg.b8af3b015ff7156b9164a402b4600908.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419269356.593262.jpg.7a37416ad20bf5f149a6a209d299e6da.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419269321.056597.jpg.0b1cfb4f37621529e0e4597d1d42dbf7.jpg

The landscaping is one thing and yes I believe a better more logical design could have been prepared. The problem here state side and I suppose over in the UK is that there are minimum requirements to meet code or to secure a CO Certificate of Occupancy.

When bare minimum requirements take the place of common sense the results look a lot like the hospital pictured. TBH regardless who was responsible for the parking lot that job would have been flagged here stateside and the General Contractor would be in a heep of trouble for such piss poor work. Still time to make repairs, however very much like polishing a turd, same appearance and results.

easy-lift guy