2 fungi + 1 crack + Lean + Target = ?

treeseer

I just got the note and pics below. What should I do? :confused1:

"I am glad to see there is someone out there who has a risk tolerance for trees like I do. At least we call it a risk tolerance, for lack of a better word. Anyway, it is getting harder and harder not to condemn trees in today's litigious world. I have a tree I would like your opinion on this Q robur:

1. severe lean toward structures 15 to 20 degrees

2. presence of 2 fungi: Laetiporus sulphureus and Ganoderma lucidum

3. proximity to structures

4. structural sheer crack along center of trunk due to lean

5. over 40 inch dbh.

6. Aggressive growth in both trunk diameter and crown expansion.

7. Overall health of tree is very good.

8. The things holding the tree up appear to be in great shape (root buttresses especially and I was glad to see that.

9. Response wood around decay area by Ganoderma conk was also very good.

When I put my report together for them I want to include remedial options of crown reduction through retrenchment over a period of time and then a removal cost will be included simply because they asked for it. In the report I include the facts above and would love to retain the tree.

My concerns are: Failure is most likely to happen at trunk base and would be immediate causing a maximum amount of damage ( practically flatening the house it is next to.)

The fact that the health of the tree is in such good shape is concerning for me because of the presence of decay fungi and their notoriosity for aggressive progression of decay.

I wound not want to drill the tree to get measurements of decay. I would just be spreading the decay fungi and causing more good than harm.

I feel this is a tree most people would say is a clear removal. For me a clear removal tree is only one kind. The one that has failed and is laying on the house.

My question to you is how to I make a good argument to retain the tree? What are your thoughts. What would you recommend?

I know it is hard with just a few pics, but any input would be greatly appreciated."

IMG_0796.jpg.bee95371e178fda456ab287aa7d2bc47.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg.9ed17cfe73e55684450c4d2af28c75da.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg.140e4efdfa63908939f2d1f166c531cd.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg.70e6f4d8c963515127087720518b4f15.jpg

For me a clear removal tree is only one kind. The one that has failed and is laying on the house.

This is a little worrying. This guy obviously hasn't put much thought to the fact that the tree laying in the house could have little Timmy squashed somewhere underneath it. Personally if it was me I'd have it out.

Aside from the huge potential for damage, and the shear crack which may or may not pass through the entire diameter of the tree, one has to question the fungi ID. I doubt the Ganoderma is lucidum, more like applanatum/lipsiense, and the L. sulphureus looks more like Meripilus giganteus.

The photos aren't great and I don't know what fungi you have your side of the pond, but if I'm right the Meripilus being misidentified as Laetiporus opens up a whole different kettle of kippers...

I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with any liability for that tree based on someone's request without seeing it in person.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

0 for 5 so far, ok...the Ganoderma sp. is up in the air over here; G lucidum is a sort of dumping ground because no one can agree on the others. If it's a bit shiny and reddish on top that may be the best term; I play is safe with sp.

The sulfur-colored one does not look like Merip to me. We have far more Laetiporus ime.

I agree with using "would I want my family sleeping under it?" as a guideline. Many people have been sleeping under this tree for a long time.

"I can't think of any good reason to keep this tree at all."--how bout shade, air and water cleaning, wildlife, property values...?

Steven, I condemned a dozen trees before noon today. I do not want to save every tree going, but there's no point calling for removal just because of an undefined risk from a few unassessed issues, without reviewing potential mitigation options.

Sorry bout the sideways pics, but isn't there a big green flag waving in that full-tree pic?

Edited by treeseer

Aside from the huge potential for damage, and the shear crack which may or may not pass through the entire diameter of the tree, one has to question the fungi ID. I doubt the Ganoderma is lucidum, more like applanatum/lipsiense, and the L. sulphureus looks more like Meripilus giganteus.

The photos aren't great and I don't know what fungi you have your side of the pond, but if I'm right the Meripilus being misidentified as Laetiporus opens up a whole different kettle of kippers...

I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with any liability for that tree based on someone's request without seeing it in person.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I agree with sloth on this one. Fungi misidentified, the merip could be some kind of honey fungus also.

It would also be completely bankers to comment on that tree from these pics. Not enough info.

The tree is only going to get worse and worse. So fell it. One day pop and not only will it smash the house but they will come to you and ask questions........

If no targets are within an immediate distance then you can look to reduce it and retain the tree.

Where there is a high target area the safest bet is to remove any diseased/dangerous tree unless it can be surveyed to show that the tree is sound or has managed to keep the fungi at bay.

"...Where there is a high target area the safest bet is to remove any diseased/dangerous tree unless it can be surveyed to show that the tree is sound or has managed to keep the fungi at bay.["

I agree with this. Judging by the pics, one could survey/assess the tree and find it reasonably sound---after a few treatments for those issues. Might it not also get better and better, with pruning and soil works?

"Fungi misidentified" I've never seen any US wood decay fungus that was so sulfur-colored that was not Laetiporus, by my imperfect reckoning.

"...the merip could be some kind of honey fungus also." :blushing: Come again? No matter the fungi ID, simple sounding might confirm it's not in the outer 4" of wood, and that's all most trees need ime.

"It would also be completely bankers to comment on that tree from these pics. Not enough info." What other info do you need? btw i asked about soil disturbance and changes in drainage and mtc. history.

I agree it would be bankers to comment and work on this tree based on images. Bankers, as in Money in the Bank. Trees like this getting routine care every 3-5 years; that's the kind of client to base a business on. :thumbup1: