Trees, tools, vehicles

coppicer

If you do go for a lawn tractor / ride on mower type thing, I understand you can weld / jam the rear diff. That way if you get one drive wheel off the ground, it won't just spin uselessly but will carry on until both wheels touch again. Might make it harder to steer though!

I would not agree with locking the diff. It is not the traction but the going straight on at corners when turning fast and sharp I have a problem with.

If you cannot have your hardcore delivered as suggested previously they I would not contemplate anything other than a 4 wheel braked trailer. Even behind a 4x4 you can get yourself in trouble.

I presume you do not need to carry wood to your house so my shopping list would be

MS 211

Good quality strimmer to clear paths

Westwood mower or similar no deck I would expect to pick one up for 2 or 3 hundred no problem.Make a simple wood trailer. Flat floor posts for sides like a wood lorry Saves the hard work in transporting the wood. Not so trendy as a quad but cheaper.

That just leaves your hardcore.

A trailer and something to tow it with, be it tractor or 4x4 will cost you a lot of money.Find a local builder with a transit tipper or similar would be my next choice after getting 20 tons delivered from the quarry.

If you are really set on fetching it yourself (WHY) then first get a decent trailer. You might be suprised what your car can do.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not agree with locking the diff. It is not the traction but the going straight on at corners when turning fast and sharp I have a problem with.

Sure. It's not something I've ever done myself, but heard it recommended by lawnmower racers, and a chap who uses one (with welded diffs) to get about his woodland. You'd have thought racing lawnmowers would need to turn handily, so I suppose the traction benefits outweigh the steering disadvantages?

Sure. It's not something I've ever done myself, but heard it recommended by lawnmower racers, and a chap who uses one (with welded diffs) to get about his woodland. You'd have thought racing lawnmowers would need to turn handily, so I suppose the traction benefits outweigh the steering disadvantages?

Sounds like a hobby for the lunatics to me. Must be interesting to watch from a safe distance.

I agree a locked diff would certainly be right for racing. Cornering hard through sweeping bends would lighten the inside wheel resulting in spinning.. I suppose travelling uphill across the slope the top wheel might be light so let's say it depends on the terain, the radius and speed of the turn.

Given the OP said his ground was fairly level, with a pivoting front axle the back wheels should always be on the ground and give enough traction. Mine is fine even with a trailer load of wood.

If I turn too sharp around a tree while mowing it goes straight on though.

It is one of the best things I have bought for maintaining my wood/copse. It has cut my strimming by 95%, doubles as transport and a tractor. Works well for me.

Given the OP said his ground was fairly level, with a pivoting front axle the back wheels should always be on the ground and give enough traction.

The ground is - in the area of the coppice - level in the sense of there being no hillocks and gulleys. However, I have animals on the field and they do leave the ground uneven. I would have to experiment with a friend's tractor before actually buying one myself.

The ground is - in the area of the coppice - level in the sense of there being no hillocks and gulleys. However, I have animals on the field and they do leave the ground uneven. I would have to experiment with a friend's tractor before actually buying one myself.

A good plan.

It sounds like you need big wheels to run over the hoof marks. If these fill with water you might be in trouble. I would be interested in your findings and what you go for. Good luck

Sounds like a hobby for the lunatics to me. Must be interesting to watch from a safe distance.

I agree a locked diff would certainly be right for racing. Cornering hard through sweeping bends would lighten the inside wheel resulting in spinning.. I suppose travelling uphill across the slope the top wheel might be light so let's say it depends on the terain, the radius and speed of the turn.

Given the OP said his ground was fairly level, with a pivoting front axle the back wheels should always be on the ground and give enough traction. Mine is fine even with a trailer load of wood.

If I turn too sharp around a tree while mowing it goes straight on though.

It is one of the best things I have bought for maintaining my wood/copse. It has cut my strimming by 95%, doubles as transport and a tractor. Works well for me.

Sounds like a good laugh, certainly to watch!

What machine did you go for in the end? And does it have a PTO? That would make a really useful machine for less than half the cost of a compact tractor I reckon...

Sounds like a good laugh, certainly to watch!

What machine did you go for in the end? And does it have a PTO? That would make a really useful machine for less than half the cost of a compact tractor I reckon...

Did you mean lawn mower racing or me mowing between my trees. Only mowed one down to date. A little ash so regrowing again. Clattered a bit though, my lad thought it was hilarious

My mower is an old Westwood S1300. Only PTO is the belt that would drive the grass pickup so I don't think the compact tractors have any real serious competition. It just saves me some hard graft and makes me smile.

I would personally go for a small / compact tractor with a trailer. I would get your gravel delivered, then when you go down your lane just fill trailer up with gravel and deposit it where you wish. Get a pto saw saw bench and away you go. For me the tractor trailer is the best option and will also open up many other avenues to go down.