What spool valve for log splitter?

john p

Half way through building my splitter and wondering what sort of spool valve to fit, it's running off a petrol power pack, also when the power pack is running and I engage the pump it stalls, I'm assuming when it's piped in this won't happen ?or is it knackered? Ta

We have a different system here it's not a tractor which has free flow return ( which means a route back to tank quick and unrestricted as possible) many new tractors have a connect point for this fitted or commonly fitted via the filling cap

This is about a power pak

A manufactured power pack is going to have a relief valve fitted either in the pump, in the control valve of a remote relief valve between the pump and the control valve.

Sometimes some bright spark in a bid to increase the hydraulic pressure out put wind the adjustable relief valve to far and this then stalls the engine as you can't compress a liquid if it's no where to go something got to give in this case the engine stalled

It maybe the case that the relief valve was Tee'd in to the return going via the oil cooler which has been removed along with the oil cooler!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you are saying openspaceman, resistance and all that.The freeflow return concept is simple and effective, we have it on a multivalved postknocker.

I have seen many pressurised valve blocks leak because of the lots of oil and not enough room to go anywhere quick enough.

Yes that's why I posted the warning, though I have only seen it blow the seals on one occasion with a hired in JD. The thing is the JD has a zero pressure return in the back axle but the fitter didn't understand the concept so took feed and return to the service spool.

If I understand what you are saying you recommend flow from tractor to valve then back from valve to transmission sump via a larger size hose and coupler, avoiding the pair of couplers partner which also has to return through the tractors valve block.

Yes, in the old days it was not a problem as many tractors only had the trailer tipper so you returned through a back axle level plug. We used a Dowty coupling with the guts removed (in case one forgot and coupled the supply first, messy as oil got dumped) with the advent of double acting spools and quickfits it seemed much easier to simply put quickfits on and go direct to the service spool outlets but damaging. So whilst it's okay to take a high pressure supply from one side of the service the return should be direct to the reservoir and preferably without quickfits. In practice I have stuck with the quickfits for the return but always couple it first.

What are you on about returning oil via the other port???

Unless your referring to the relief valve return port???

And there's no such thing as zero back pressure as the force pushing the oil flow back to the reservoir is the back pressure and any resistance on route increase the back pressure !!

Boozy evening?

I was specifically replying to a post that referred to taking and returning a supply on a tractor via the service spool.

Even if you had a blanked end on a return hose the tractors relief valve would open before damage should occur unless your running a pressure beyond system but this is usually on used on fore end loaders were the hoses supplying the valve block remain connected all the time!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!