freelander or Honda CRV

gnfencer

I am looking at getting a freelander or a Honda crv, I've been told that as long as the freelander is a td 4, the one with the bmw e fine they are pretty reliable, also I like the crv, I am happy to go for one with highish miles as I know Honda have never had a reported engine failure, are the diesel ones as good as the petrol ones, any advice greatly appreciated,

My wife drives an 02 CRV petrol and she's very happy with it; just passed 150'000 miles. Serviced regularly and can easily seat 4 with a full boot. We've driven it to Scotland and the Lakes on a number of occasions, nice high seating position.

We came from a Freelander but that was the infamous K series engines, and yes, ours went pop.

I am looking at getting a freelander or a Honda crv, I've been told that as long as the freelander is a td 4, the one with the bmw e fine they are pretty reliable, also I like the crv, I am happy to go for one with highish miles as I know Honda have never had a reported engine failure, are the diesel ones as good as the petrol ones, any advice greatly appreciated,

Hi fencer I no people with them and then do is cost you money what age are looking for 04)08 mate we tryed a new one it was ok but far to much money thanks Jon

I am looking at realistically around 03- 05 for price wise, I am not sure about the Honda diesels, are they as reliable as the petrol engines,

As I said the higher miles wouldn't bother me does anyone know if it's better to steer clear of the petrol freelanders?

I have just bought a CRV i-vtec (petrol) on an 11 plate. I changed from an 05 Jeep cherokee 2.8ltd (diesel)

The CRV is way roomier than the Jeep and much more comfortable and much quieter, as you would expect from a petrol. Its also much easier to drive, the Jeep had a very heavy clutch which played havoc with my damaged knee in traffic.

I miss the 'grunt' of the Jeep though. You certainly have to 'work' the Honda 2.0litre petrol to get any sort of performance from this 1.6 tonne vehicle, but it does not mind revving to 7000. I believe the diesel is much torquier than the petrol but I did not want the DPF issues associated with the newer diesels.

All in all I am happy with the 'v' but not inspired. Its a bit of a reliable bore, and a thirsty one at that, returning on average 29mpg so far. But as we do a low annual mileage The fuel consumption does not worry me too much.

I have just bought a CRV i-vtec (petrol) on an 11 plate. I changed from an 05 Jeep cherokee 2.8ltd (diesel)

The CRV is way roomier than the Jeep and much more comfortable and much quieter, as you would expect from a petrol. Its also much easier to drive, the Jeep had a very heavy clutch which played havoc with my damaged knee in traffic.

I miss the 'grunt' of the Jeep though. You certainly have to 'work' the Honda 2.0litre petrol to get any sort of performance from this 1.6 tonne vehicle, but it does not mind revving to 7000. I believe the diesel is much torquier than the petrol but I did not want the DPF issues associated with the newer diesels.

All in all I am happy with the 'v' but not inspired. Its a bit of a reliable bore, and a thirsty one at that, returning on average 29mpg so far. But as we do a low annual mileage The fuel consumption does not worry me too much.

Perhaps not revving to 7000 might bring the fuel consumption down to something reasonable :sneaky2::biggrin:

What are DPF issues?

Perhaps not revving to 7000 might bring the fuel consumption down to something reasonable :sneaky2::biggrin:

What are DPF issues?

DPF is diesel particulate filter

Makes for a proper expensive exhaust system

They don't like town driving, it blocks them up and a blocked filter can damage the engine.

A blast down the motorway will get them up to temperature, which cleans them.

If you want it to get away at a junction and join the flow, it needs to be booted and to keep a reasonable pace uphill when loaded, you have to keep it in the torque band at around 4000rpm. But as I said, that engine with its variable valve timing just loves to be worked.

DPF (diesel particulate filter) issues effect most diesel engine fitted to cars since around 2005. They simply do not like low mileage use and the DPF clogs with soot, needing regeneration when the light comes on. This involves a thrash up the motorway for 20 minutes or so, in a lowish gear and highish revs.

diesel particulate filter (dpf) | AA

During the winter I tend to work 7days a week and never go anywhere in the car as I use my van. My wife drives to work and back, a distance of 1 mile each way, and so for 4or 5months the engine never gets worked. Modern diesels with DPF's are just not suited to this kind of treatment, hence the decision to go petrol.

Working vehicles are fine with diesel.