Experienced climbers

NickinMids

It does take about 3-5 years for sure, to begin with your using your muscle only, no experience to make it easier, then over the years you learn that there is an easy way and a bloody hard way to do each scenario you'll come across.

Ensuring you dont cover the same ground twice is one of the more difficult things to master, no climber likes climbing a stem twice to get to a branch that would have been easier earlier in the day!

Learning that big broad canopies are best tackled from top to bottom in segments, quartered or 8ths for example.

and the muscles required take time to develop along with it the stamina and the art of pacing oneself.

Getting the right anchor point for the most flexible amount of moves in one go, learning just what you need to take up and NOT, cos lets face it some folk just like to look like christmas trees and thats not what a seasoned arborist wants! theres a reason!

There is no substitute for just getting up there and cracking on, its like the tree itself, i mean the energy balance, you have a budget at the start, manage that well and youll get to the finish line in comfort, manage it badly and youll be back to finish the job in the morrow!

I dont know if there is a way of teaching the art of it, we all have natural abilities and arb is one of those things youll either excel at or struggle on with wondering why others seem to be more successful or just have an easier time of it. I see so many struggling, moaning about the job the life, the agro, while others have a blast enjoy it and make good money.

Everyone no matter how they are taught will develop their own style, there is no right or wrong, just an efficient and successful completion

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't by any means consider myself experienced! But have found my better climbs have been where i have not worried or stressed, just take it easy relax take as long as it takes getting the job finished, i is better than rushing and gettting a nasty battle scar.

I found if i just chill i find my self being more efficient taking time to look for an easier path, and only starting the saw when im comfortable try all angels you can stand, making sure you've done all you can where you are. And then all of a sudden you look round and think right only that small amount left as opposed to oh shite im knackerd and have loads left to do.

Just what i have found good climbers typically look as if they are just taking a gentle stroll. If you look like your rushing your probably being inefficient. That's the perspective i get when im on the ground.

It does take about 3-5 years for sure, to begin with your using your muscle only, no experience to make it easier, then over the years you learn that there is an easy way and a bloody hard way to do each scenario you'll come across.

Ensuring you dont cover the same ground twice is one of the more difficult things to master, no climber likes climbing a stem twice to get to a branch that would have been easier earlier in the day!

Learning that big broad canopies are best tackled from top to bottom in segments, quartered or 8ths for example.

and the muscles required take time to develop along with it the stamina and the art of pacing oneself.

Getting the right anchor point for the most flexible amount of moves in one go, learning just what you need to take up and NOT, cos lets face it some folk just like to look like christmas trees and thats not what a seasoned arborist wants! theres a reason!

There is no substitute for just getting up there and cracking on, its like the tree itself, i mean the energy balance, you have a budget at the start, manage that well and youll get to the finish line in comfort, manage it badly and youll be back to finish the job in the morrow!

I dont know if there is a way of teaching the art of it, we all have natural abilities and arb is one of those things youll either excel at or struggle on with wondering why others seem to be more successful or just have an easier time of it. I see so many struggling, moaning about the job the life, the agro, while others have a blast enjoy it and make good money.

Everyone no matter how they are taught will develop their own style, there is no right or wrong, just an efficient and successful completion

Thanks Tony a taste of what I was looking for in some of those tips

Awesome explanation, being methodical is so important relaxing and just getting on with it, on top of this a good anchor point and good rope angles if possible :) All about flow. You sometimes just get them trees that work for you and other days you feel like your fighting it