Thoughts on weeping willow failure

Andyd1606

We had some perfect conditions for summer branch drop this weekend, in fact I watch one occur on my 300 year old Oak as we sat having tea! then at work the next day another while again drinking tea after the job we had done next door! though this was a root plate failure due to Honey.

Would under drought conditions, then wieghted by a summer storm is going to have a few down, simples.

This was complicated by a number of factors, most significant is Heart rot By Laetiporus which is one of the main fork splitters in the heart rot category

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"we can sometimes prevent this from happening in the urban environment by shortening lever arms."

Right. Overextension is a defect. Heavy, exposed ends cause failure. The white stuff did not help, but strength loss from it does not look like the primary cause of failure.

That willow is not doomed because of that tear out wound. Closure can be sped by tacking on a screen for callus to roll over when the wood decays, and by retaining any sprouts. Applying a sealant first might lessen cracking and decay. It won't be as pretty, but might last a good long while, depending on crown management.

Codominant failure has nothing to do with SBD; 2 different animals entirely.

Gravity and lack of reduction pruning took their toll.

In the US/ISA there is a strong belief that I find questionable: that fungal colonisation and decay are ALWAYS caused by wounding. How do you suppose the fungus entered this tree?

Edited by treeseer

In the US/ISA there is a strong belief that I find questionable: that fungal colonisation and decay are ALWAYS caused by wounding. How do you suppose the fungus entered this tree?

Gravity and lack of reduction pruning.

Agreed

Have you seen the latent decay papers by Raynor (sp?) and Lynne Boddy? Think Schwartz has written on it. I 'd assume you have, as they're old, but I can email them to anyone interested.