Renting a yard.

Arborist

Wood chip and logs are not waste if they are a product, surely. Pedantic, perhaps, but I consider them both to be raw materials that can be processed into a product. Therefore, the moving of them is not transfer of waste. Surely? And the removal of arisings from site is part of a service.

Just a thought.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To import wood chip and logs onto a piece of land, be it a corner of a field or a farm yard, if it does not originate from the land it is stored on or has no direct use on the land where it is stored you need planning permission. You can compost up to 1000 m3 of wood chip but you need an Environment Agency exemption, wiil have to do an envirnmental impact assesment etc to get it- but you still need planning pemission. And bringing brash, rakings, logs onto a site and burning it God help you if you get caught!! All the above comes from very painful and expensive experience solicitors and barristers bill to date would buy a decent chipper new.

To import wood chip and logs onto a piece of land, be it a corner of a field or a farm yard, if it does not originate from the land it is stored on or has no direct use on the land where it is stored you need planning permission. You can compost up to 1000 m3 of wood chip but you need an Environment Agency exemption, wiil have to do an envirnmental impact assesment etc to get it- but you still need planning pemission. And bringing brash, rakings, logs onto a site and burning it God help you if you get caught!! All the above comes from very painful and expensive experience solicitors and barristers bill to date would buy a decent chipper new.

I agree with the bit about the EA, As far as they are concerned you will need to register an exemption, as woodchip is a waste product of a mechanical process! in their eyes.

I think you have been very unlucky! In most cases if you buy a field out in the sticks and dump a load of woodchip there no one would even know - and if any one did know they probably wouldn't give a rats ass! You must have EA inspectors patrolling the countryside in your area.

I think you have been very unlucky! In most cases if you buy a field out in the sticks and dump a load of woodchip there no one would even know - and if any one did know they probably wouldn't give a rats ass! You must have EA inspectors patrolling the countryside in your area.

You could be the lucky one not having the EA looking at what you do. I see how the EA work regularly and more and more people are getting into trouble around here. The Ea are even going out on the roadside checks with VOSA & HMRCE round here. They will prosecute for not being a registered waste carrier or holding an exemption. They also sniff out a large fire from 5 miles and will take aaction against it round here,

You could be the lucky one not having the EA looking at what you do. I see how the EA work regularly and more and more people are getting into trouble around here. The Ea are even going out on the roadside checks with VOSA & HMRCE round here. They will prosecute for not being a registered waste carrier or holding an exemption. They also sniff out a large fire from 5 miles and will take aaction against it round here,

Well you're definitely unlucky because it's nothing like that down here in Cornwall. Think I've only ever seen an EA vehicle once or twice in my life, and farmers round here are having massive fires everyday so my occassional burn-up hardly stands out! Would be amazed if any of the tree firms in my area have ever had any dealings with the EA, let alone have an exemption cert to carry woodchip in there trucks - reckon most of them would absolutely piss them selves if it was even suggested!:hahaha:

I'm not unlucky I play by the rules as do a lot of the local lads around here we are not bothered by the agency.

EA enforcement officers don't drive badged vehicles either so you wouldn't recognise one. Only Hydrometrics and Ops delivery teams use badged vehicles. If you live a good wat from a EA office it'll reduce your chances massivly of ever having a visit!

I thought we are meant to be proffessionals from the start of the job right through to how we dispose of, or store our logs and woodchip, dumping them in the corner of a field and and hoping no one will notice aint the answer. Do it properly, work with your local council and the environment agency, get the right paperwork in place.

It only takes one complaint from a local resident, disgruntled ex employee etc to make you wish you had, the fines and legislation behind them are very unforgiving.

I had a visit many years ago,from the local planing department they said I need planing consent to have my 200 to 300 ton butt pile in a field at the back of my house.

I said it was the produce of forestry,which is agricuture and that it was agricultural land and could see no problem.

They asked me to write to them with my views,I said no,they asked why,and I said if I write to you,you will open a file with my name on it and start collecting my correspondence,so I'll just stick to taking you calls,thanks.

A few weeks later a receved a letter telling me that in 28 days there was going to be comity meet and they were going to discus my situation and that I may wish to make some representation.

I did nothing.

About 4 or 5 weeks later I receved a letter to say they had "discused" the situation and decided to.................

............take no further action at this time,that was more than 10 years ago and I have heard nothing since.

I thought we are meant to be proffessionals from the start of the job right through to how we dispose of, or store our logs and woodchip, dumping them in the corner of a field and and hoping no one will notice aint the answer. Do it properly, work with your local council and the environment agency, get the right paperwork in place.

It only takes one complaint from a local resident, disgruntled ex employee etc to make you wish you had, the fines and legislation behind them are very unforgiving.

I'm not being un-professional, it's just something thats never been an issue down here. I know a lot of the other guys around here that own tree firms and they would never think that there would be rules about storing woodchip on there own land - you've got to admit it is a bit ridiculous!