Valtra with roof mounts

gemtrees

It looks to be a tidy but well used example. A lot of the stuff i'm going to say is basic but its a great indication of how well its been or not been looked after. If there is a maintenance book in the cab take a look. I have one and its great i can how many hours it does to a fuel fill how long its worked in a month problems/fixes services.

Tractor

Engine oil - if its on the bottom of the stick it either used oil or has been used as a jump in and go machine. Keep a look out for oil leaks some 8000 series do leak a little.

Cooling system - Easy to put sticks into the rad and fan when trecking through the forest (been there, done that). Check for leaks and the headder tank is full. They do like to sit just below the min line as normal though.

Air filter - Is the pre cleaner on the bonnet full of crap? Does the one under the bonnet look like it's the first time it's ever been out. Chipping specially crane fed gums them up quickly.

Fuel - Check the water in the trap. Ask if the tank has ever been drained and cleaned. Big tanks that sit half empty normally get a sludge at the bottom that can cause real problems. Only ever seen that in a volvo loader.

Hydraulic - check it.

Transmission - Drive it around check all the gears work including the delta powershift. If something is going to be iffy more than likely the power shift. Check the pto works as it should too, in both speeds with no grinding noises when it engages.

4wd switch actually makes it 4wd same with diff lock.

If its an air seat it works properly.

Front hubs have oil in.

Steering rams have no play and don't leak.

If it has a belly plate is it full of oil. Does it have holes in for changing filters. (If you have to drop the plate to fit filters have they been done?)

Any signs of greasing on the linkage or front axle.

I see the exhaust has been bent to one side which is really good. Hodge may know the history of that. Be sure its not because its been hit and bent stuff further down at the expansion box. I've seen that on a massy that has also bent the air filter so it doesn't come out anymore.

Look for any cracks in the frame for the roof mount and at the axles. Check the welds on the rear window guard looks like its taken a knock or too.

Valmets are solid tractors so if it looks well maintained and tidy it probably is.

Crane.

Well work from the slew box end...

Is there gear oil it it?

Seals around the slew cylinders leaking.

Are all the grease nipples on the base working i think from memory there are 4. Put some grease in all the nipples over the crane better to find that they don't work and haven;t had grease in the yard and the pin is worn than 20k later.

Main lift ram. Check for play and see if there are any metal filings around the pin as they do wear.

Dipping boom ram - put a ladder up and check the pin for filings it can be a pain to grease so can often be 'done next time'.

Dipping boom pin - this one seems to break roll pins in my experience and the spring washers on the whole wishbone set up need to be tight. Also there is a bolt. Movement is from dragging too much on the slew and lack of grease.

The things that hold the metal pipes in they stop the pipes rubbing especially where they bend around and change to hoses.

Wear on the extension roller.

Rotator doesn't leak!!

Grapple pins are tight and roll pins are there. There is a pita to change hose that wears easily in the grab check for wear.

Hoses will also show some wear but make sure the hard to change ones are good.

Make sure you check the the thing is straight too.

All really simple things but will give you a good indication of condition of the machine. Don't be afraid to take a AG mechanic with you to check it out. It won't be new condition but you dont want to spend good money to spend more later on for the sake of a few hours of a mechanic going over it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you have that over my way hodge? Looks very fermilier with that chipper on or could have been who it went too, think it said kingfisher on it when I looked at it.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Hi, I never had it over your way mate, the guy that bought it took it down south.

Hodge

If it's been at the previously mentioned company down South then it will have been worked hard and the crane if I recall corectly has been welded back together more than once as the boss was always saying the patu crane on the new one was much better built and that botexs fall to bits. I never saw this one as they had the new one while I was there so couldn't say for certain that it's the same one as in your pics but other responses seem to match up.

Hope this helps

Another few for my list.

Drop link wear and where this attaches to the extension. This bit bends fairly easily so look for welds and heating.

Breaks - check the hand break labours the engine on pulling off rather than doing nothing. Also the play in the break peddle and that it stops in a streight line.