renewed my lgv licence today

predator

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got your HGV licence before 2009 and you don't do the 35 hours before the september deadline then you have to take the 4 part test to be able to carry on driving.

Edit: I would rather give up driving than do 4 part test, I left school years ago.

Edited by scraggs

well i,am back from my 1st course/session its easy like sucking eggs its almost like a refresher course to bring you upto date with digital tachos drivers breaks/hrs working time directive / what vosa want from you as a professional driver etc

there was guys there who work for themselves scaffolders part time truckers etc basically if you hav,nt got it by the 8th sept you cant drive hire or reward untill you have etc but you can still do the course 35hrs at you leisure after that date but you cant drive untill you have done the full course also vosa will be out in force looking for drivers without a cpc card after the 8th sep so think carefully do you need it also after you got your cpc card you only need to go once a year after that so you can just renew your card when its due again so i would say do it now then if you get a pull off vosa you wont end up paying a large fine or a day in court etc explaining yourself to a judge fines=££££

I hope I've got this right.

I've got a class 1, but at the moment don't drive professionally. If I was to do the cpc now but didn't drive professionally for the next 5 years I would have to do the 35 hours all again ?

Also if driving is only part of your job, ie if you drive a 7.5 ton truck to a job and then do tree work, you don't need the cpc ?

I didn't know about the 4 part question section that you have to do if you don't do the cpc before the deadline day.

basically if you hav,nt got it by the 8th sept you cant drive hire or reward untill you have etc but you can still do the course 35hrs at you leisure after that date but you cant drive untill you have done the full course

That clears that up, Thanks

Completely different to what I was lead to believe.

I didn't know about the 4 part question section that you have to do if you don't do the cpc before the deadline day.

It appears not, as quoted above

I hope I've got this right.

I've got a class 1, but at the moment don't drive professionally. If I was to do the cpc now but didn't drive professionally for the next 5 years I would have to do the 35 hours all again ?

Also if driving is only part of your job, ie if you drive a 7.5 ton truck to a job and then do tree work, you don't need the cpc ?

yes but only once a year after that and your free to jump in anything with no worries.

even down to moving some furniture in a truck for your mate an tell them its a favour but he gives you a brew and buys you a pie for your dinner its still classed as reward it,s a gray area your word against theres and what mood police or vosa is in if you get a pull etc

That clears that up, Thanks

Completely different to what I was lead to believe.

It appears not, as quoted above

regarding the latter as i understand it the dcpc 4 part exam is for virgin licence holders just passed there test etc . not for us old scroats thats had a licence for years a bit like claiming grandfather rights to drive with a cpc because you,ve held your licence for a number of years etc its dead easy honest just answering questions and ticking boxes and as long as you attend you get the cpc card

regarding the latter as i understand it the dcpc 4 part exam is for virgin licence holders just passed there test etc . not for us old scroats thats had a licence for years a bit like claiming grandfather rights to drive with a cpc because you,ve held your licence for a number of years etc its dead easy honest just answering questions and ticking boxes and as long as you attend you get the cpc card

Good to hear you had a good day. If I need to drive an artic again I will just have to do a bit of forward planning to do it I guess:thumbup:

well i,am back from my 1st course/session its easy like sucking eggs its almost like a refresher course to bring you upto date with digital tachos drivers breaks/hrs working time directive / what vosa want from you as a professional driver etc

there was guys there who work for themselves scaffolders part time truckers etc basically if you hav,nt got it by the 8th sept you cant drive hire or reward untill you have etc but you can still do the course 35hrs at you leisure after that date but you cant drive untill you have done the full course also vosa will be out in force looking for drivers without a cpc card after the 8th sep so think carefully do you need it also after you got your cpc card you only need to go once a year after that so you can just renew your card when its due again so i would say do it now then if you get a pull off vosa you wont end up paying a large fine or a day in court etc explaining yourself to a judge fines=££££

A mate of mine works at VOSA.

apparently all leave after the 8th of september has been cancelled for a month.

there gonna be all over it!

• 2 weeks later...

Doing my final cpc soon and have found it an insultingly pathetic waste of time and money but unfortunately it has do be done ( wish UKIP had some say on this nonsense ) however today I have learned that the speed limit for lorries on unrestricted single carriageways is to be RAISED ! from the current 40 - 50 mph , no idea there has been any campaign on this issue and it seems all interested parties , including road safety campaigners think it is a good idea !