Isuzu D-max towing

JimE

We are trying out a Demo Yukon over the weekend. Just took it around the local lanes with approximately 600 kg in the back and 2500 kg on the hitch. No problem with power but in high range box it was very uncomfortable with it as my wife describes it "porpoising" with it sort of pitching front to back. Went into low range and all was fine. Don't really understand why as it seemed to have plenty of grunt in high :confused1:

Frankly a bit disappointed as our old Defender 200TDI would pull the same load appreciable more smoothly just not as quickly or quietly.

I found exactly the same with our Navarra which is why we did not keep it long. I put it down to the long wheel base the leaf springs and the thinner chassis to the landrover stuff. You could actually see the rear body jumping around on rough roads in relation to the cab. If you do lots of towing I think its Landrover or Landcruiser and not much else. Double cabs are fine for towing 3000kg occasionally not sure I could live with one all the time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found exactly the same with our Navarra which is why we did not keep it long. I put it down to the long wheel base the leaf springs and the thinner chassis to the landrover stuff. You could actually see the rear body jumping around on rough roads in relation to the cab. If you do lots of towing I think its Landrover or Landcruiser and not much else. Double cabs are fine for towing 3000kg occasionally not sure I could live with one all the time.

I would not have a double cab but the Yukon is they have as a demonstrator. Do you think a single cab would be better.

Jonny69

I just tried it again and when it is low range you get a light to say diff is off and when in high no light :confused1: There is switch to turn diff off but it appears to do nothing.

I would not have a double cab but the Yukon is they have as a demonstrator. Do you think a single cab would be better.

Jonny69

I just tried it again and when it is low range you get a light to say diff is off and when in high no light :confused1: There is switch to turn diff off but it appears to do nothing.

Hmmm, are you sure the light is not wrong?? and the diff is engaged when you are in low? If that is the case driving any distance on tarmac in low is a bad idea.

This i why I bought an Amarok, wanted a pickup with full time 4x4 and the centre diff only engaged when it needs to. I have found it to be an excellent system so far. Only got 4000 miles on mine, probably about 50% towing, but my trailer goes out in the morning at 1.5ton so I am usually pretty heavy on the way home.

Hmmm, are you sure the light is not wrong?? and the diff is engaged when you are in low? If that is the case driving any distance on tarmac in low is a bad idea.

This i why I bought an Amarok, wanted a pickup with full time 4x4 and the centre diff only engaged when it needs to. I have found it to be an excellent system so far. Only got 4000 miles on mine, probably about 50% towing, but my trailer goes out in the morning at 1.5ton so I am usually pretty heavy on the way home.

Hi mate what Amarok do you have there s line how do they pull 3,5ton thanks Jon

Wish they had provided a handbook:001_rolleyes:

Had another look and it's not a difflock but probably a traction control system TCS? It can be turned on and off in 2 high and 4 high but automatically gets turned off in low 4. Still seems odd that I can't use it when in 4 low when you would have thought it would be most needed also why was it smoother with it turned off?

Edited by Woodworks

Hi mate what Amarok do you have there s line how do they pull 3,5ton thanks Jon

Hi, It is the 2.0twin turbo 8 speed auto. Top of the range jobbie with all the toys. Nice motor.

Pulls that no trouble, nice long wheelbase, low 1st gear and although it only has 180hp the gearbox is so good I never feel I need more. Regularly has over 3.5 ton on the back. As my trailer brimmed with chip will be nearing 4tons. Though it can only pull 3200kg legally.

Wish they had provided a handbook:001_rolleyes:

Had another look and it's not a difflock but probably a traction control system TCS? It can be turned on and off in 2 high and 4 high but automatically gets turned off in low 4. Still seems odd that I can't use it when in 4 low when you would have thought it would be most needed also why was it smoother with it turned off?

I reckon it must turn off the road going traction control in 4low and give you off road traction control?

As for it being smoother, the TCS will not have any effect on the ride. Other that you will be going slower in low. So should feel smoother.

Hi, It is the 2.0twin turbo 8 speed auto. Top of the range jobbie with all the toys. Nice motor.

Pulls that no trouble, nice long wheelbase, low 1st gear and although it only has 180hp the gearbox is so good I never feel I need more. Regularly has over 3.5 ton on the back. As my trailer brimmed with chip will be nearing 4tons. Though it can only pull 3200kg legally.

180 hp is plenty especially with a good torque curve and 8 speed box. The vw looks a good truck with a good name behind it. I had a nightmare Ford in 1995 so cant see myself going back there once badly bitten mad to go back. I cant see why they cant make a double cab tow well and sounds like vw may of done it.

HI JONNY that sound great mate and there very well made to thanks jon :thumbup: