Isuzu D-max towing

JimE

180 hp is plenty especially with a good torque curve and 8 speed box. The vw looks a good truck with a good name behind it. I had a nightmare Ford in 1995 so cant see myself going back there once badly bitten mad to go back. I cant see why they cant make a double cab tow well and sounds like vw may of done it.

I reckon they are the best (nicest) pickup to tow with on the market. Near as good as the disco3 I had. Better than the LWB Shogun after that.

I will say that the Disco4 is the best tow vehicle i have used. But the Amarok is not far behind I think. If it was on air all round would be excellent. But remember mine was 10-11k cheaper than a disco commercial. Has a pickup bed and will not lose anywhere near as much cash as a discovery.

I just hope its going to be reliable. Only stories I have heard is the back axles having trouble if you beast them. But they gave the guy in that story I heard his money back after the 3rd axle was replaced.

Oh and I get 35-38mpg without the trailer! 23-28mpg with it on.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never drove the latest dmax but from what people have said the new one is nicer to drive and the Rodeo ( now about 2 years old ) only tows 3000kg I think the old Rodeo was a good truck and does not have a dpf fitted so one less problem. I think peteB or chris shepperd on here had one and ran huge miles without problem.

Must have been PeteB - I've not had one, though my defender's currently got over 300,000 miles on it without much drama :thumbup1:

I had this problem and I worked it out to be the truck was lower than the balance point of the trailer if that makes sense., put an adjustable hitch on and all is good now.

There's plenty of other motors being mentioned in this thread, but, on paper and for the money you can't buy a 3500kg tow vehicle with five years warranty for same money. Nothing's perfect.

I reckon they are the best (nicest) pickup to tow with on the market. Near as good as the disco3 I had. Better than the LWB Shogun after that.

I will say that the Disco4 is the best tow vehicle i have used. But the Amarok is not far behind I think. If it was on air all round would be excellent. But remember mine was 10-11k cheaper than a disco commercial. Has a pickup bed and will not lose anywhere near as much cash as a discovery.

I just hope its going to be reliable. Only stories I have heard is the back axles having trouble if you beast them. But they gave the guy in that story I heard his money back after the 3rd axle was replaced.

HI JONNY you say the best TOW IS D4 but with all the time there in garage your far better with AUDI/VW mate as they do not break down as much it no good looking all nice if it in the garage thanks sound to me a VW/AUDI/TOYOTA the best now thanks jon

If you can get a vehicle that tows anywhere near as well as the d4 grab it with both hands especially if its 10k cheaper. The discovery is so costly and unreliable to keep going its not worth the grief. The one I have is £40,000 + vat and a 12 month wait. The Harmon Kardon ice is to die for the aircon works a treat and it pulls huge trailers like its still solo ( when its working ) I love it to bits to drive Just dont want to own it and wont be buying anymore.

We are trying out a Demo Yukon over the weekend. Just took it around the local lanes with approximately 600 kg in the back and 2500 kg on the hitch. No problem with power but in high range box it was very uncomfortable with it as my wife describes it "porpoising" with it sort of pitching front to back. Went into low range and all was fine. Don't really understand why as it seemed to have plenty of grunt in high :confused1:

Frankly a bit disappointed as our old Defender 200TDI would pull the same load appreciable more smoothly just not as quickly or quietly.

It could just be a case of tweaking the set up. Small trailers that take big loads can be a pain, Longer draw bars and axles further apart are more forgiving. Possibly heavier duty shock absorbers.

HI JONNY you say the best TOW IS D4 but with all the time there in garage your far better with AUDI/VW mate as they do not break down as much it no good looking all nice if it in the garage thanks sound to me a VW/AUDI/TOYOTA the best now thanks jon

Yeah, I know quite a few who runs 3s and 4s as tow vehicles. They do seem to have an unfortunate amount of costly trouble.

Though I did 20.000 miles in mine and it is now owned by Dean @ Global Recycling. Pretty sure he is happy with it too.

My uncle has a 3 at about 65,000 miles. Clutch is going, handbrake failed, ecu replaced, air suspension issues, bushes and joints on the suspension etc etc. Just a massive, costly pain.

Genesetsteve:

That is why if I was going to have a disco4 I would buy brand new and only run it for two years. But you are looking at losing 8k a year in depreciation. Which is unjustifiable for a work truck (for me anyway)

Yeah, I know quite a few who runs 3s and 4s as tow vehicles. They do seem to have an unfortunate amount of costly trouble.

Though I did 20.000 miles in mine and it is now owned by Dean @ Global Recycling. Pretty sure he is happy with it too.

My uncle has a 3 at about 65,000 miles. Clutch is going, handbrake failed, ecu replaced, air suspension issues, bushes and joints on the suspension etc etc. Just a massive, costly pain.

Genesetsteve:

That is why if I was going to have a disco4 I would buy brand new and only run it for two years. But you are looking at losing 8k a year in depreciation. Which is unjustifiable for a work truck (for me anyway)

Yes 3k a year is enough over 3 years. 8k a year on a disco is cheaper than paying for the repairs. You not had any oil pump failures, turbos or front and rear diffs, no coolant in the gearbox :lol:

We are trying out a Demo Yukon over the weekend. Just took it around the local lanes with approximately 600 kg in the back and 2500 kg on the hitch. No problem with power but in high range box it was very uncomfortable with it as my wife describes it "porpoising" with it sort of pitching front to back. Went into low range and all was fine. Don't really understand why as it seemed to have plenty of grunt in high :confused1:

Frankly a bit disappointed as our old Defender 200TDI would pull the same load appreciable more smoothly just not as quickly or quietly.

Hi Beau,

I think that maybe the towball is too low for your trailer.

If you put the trailer sat level when loaded next to the ball of your loaded truck does it come out higher up?

I put a ball/pin combi hitch on mine so the ball sits higher and no problems.

I have done 500 miles towing with mine this weekend. No breakdowns and I'm not crippled and deaf, so a definite improvement over the landrover!

Edited by JimE