Beech 'Reduction'

Bewarethemoon

Can't see it that well on my phone but I've definitely seen worse.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Arbtalk mobile app

The photo certainly doesn't do the 'workmanship' justice. Around the other side of the tree was a pollarded limb of about 8-10" diameter that kissed the top of the crown.

Feel a bit cagey saying this but "let he who is without sin throw the first stone" (I quote from a famous book.)

The works are absolutely not complaint with BS3998, but sometimes the customer wants and demands, despite your best endeavours to convince the otherwise, are the over-riding factor. I think that's a reality sometimes, n sadly.

The tree may cope with the 'topping n lopping' given its age, they often do, although the species may be a balancing factor.

For me, and I acknowledge tis oft the case, but where this kind of work is undertaken and resultant split, tears and rips are present that is 'bad' workmanship.

Not meaning to be controversial here but just suggesting there's often another side to the story....appen!

Cheers all..

Paul

Man up the road from me does this to his Sycamore every so often. Own kit, ex-rock climber and thinks he now knows how to prune trees to save a few bob. I have spoken to him but he's too set on doing this himself!! Still, you can't lead a horse to water can you.....!