Mulching advice needed.

tommer9

Hi guys. I have been working on a long drive for a long-time customer of mine, who has let the grass grow so long that me and another lad have been hacking it back for 6 days now. The thing is the drive has loads of really rare shrubs/ trees in it. My question is this. Are there any shrubs or trees that should not be mulched? There are several magnolia of various types which he says must not be touched, and the rest of the stuff is made from plants from round the world. I would be looking to use 2nd hand tree mats and >12month old woodchip. It is really just for weed control more than anything else, so that in future i can use the fs480 without having to go near the stems with the obvious associated risks. If there are any obvious ones i would like tpo know and i wil cross ref with what he has. Thanks a lot.:001_smile:

Rhodos and azaleas flower poorly if they are planted too deep, an effect than can be achieved by mulching. Best for them is to give them some leafmould now (rotten pine needles or bracken are great for acidity) - after flowering - and when the ground's moist. At this time of year the mulch rots quickly and leaves them shallow planted.

As for 'proper' trees you'd probably know better than I about burying trunks in mulch; I believe it isn't good though I did bury the bottom 18" of my red maple in clay 10 years ago and it's fine!

Rhodos and azaleas flower poorly if they are planted too deep, an effect than can be achieved by mulching. Best for them is to give them some leafmould now (rotten pine needles or bracken are great for acidity) - after flowering - and when the ground's moist. At this time of year the mulch rots quickly and leaves them shallow planted.

As for 'proper' trees you'd probably know better than I about burying trunks in mulch; I believe it isn't good though I did bury the bottom 18" of my red maple in clay 10 years ago and it's fine!

Tjhanks for that- very interesting as he has quite a number of rhodys and azaleas, some of which he says were collected abroad recently and no-one is sure how they wiil look when they flower. Better not kill them then!! Some of them are suffering badly from strangulation from the grass basically, which was about 18" long in places, 3/4 the way up the plant:scared1: I will try to get some pics if you dont mind, as i am not really very knowledgeable on that sort of plant health.:001_smile:

Good point! Ta.

woodchip mulch is a cheap option imo, i think its only good for making a big hole not as deep. tell the miserable millionaire he has not to leave it so long next time to sort out his driveway. and get you in more often to do the job right:001_cool:

tell the miserable millionaire he has not to leave it so long next time to sort out his driveway. and get you in more often to do the job right:001_cool:

Thats exactly what i have finally persuaded him after two years, and showing him how many of his precious plants have been killed as a result of not looking after it. We have agreed on a speculative program of one possibly two cuts between september to about april-ish, then regular cutting, either 1 or two weeks- in the other months. That way i think two men could keep on top of it in a day each visit, not 14 man-days:ohmy: once a year!! Thats over 2 weeks work too!:001_smile:

If it's primarily weed control and it needs to be long term and low maintenace, you could use woven polypropelene, covered with wood chip. The wood chip is not in contact with the soil, so it lasts a long time. You need to herbicide or dig out all the existing grass and recess the edge of the area to stop the woodchip from falling off.

It's no good for suckering plants and best avoided on wet sites, but it does the job if you want to keep the base of the plant clear and tidy.

You can also get bioderadeable mulch mats, which don't look so bad if they get uncovered, but they don't last for a long time.

IF it is weeds at the base of the trees/shrubs, I am in agreement with most all the comments ...Keeps down weeds/competition etc...BUT, and I know it dont appeal to everyone or appropriate for all sites/situations....I am a great believer in long grass and minimal "husbandry" as it mitigates the effects of drought....