A bit of a problem...

Jamie_tardi

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not actually going to dump anything there it's not worth my time. The thing that really really winds me up is the fact that they are saying I was not there long.. It's a pointless argument if you paid 3 grand for a kitchen and it took 1 day to fit would you not pay as it took 1 day even though the job is to spec.

Here, it is normal practice for a client to send back a quote signed with a phrase "I've read and approve this"

When we don't or forget, we often have issues, normally with couples who have not agreed between themselves as to the nature of the work.

It has been a while since I meted out any sort of revenge to a non-payer, I normally walk away as I am older, wiser and cannot stand confrontation and more.

Regardless of this, a late night visit to spray the hedge with Roundup is one way I once satisfied my thirst for revenge...

Ty

If you've specified what and where you're doing the work (i.e. front garden only) and she's agreed said work AND the quoted amount then she's in the wrong.

I've had this a few times with clients regards to how long a job takes and my usual retort is 'Well if it had taken me longer would you have paid me more?' You gave them a quote which is different to an estimate and such the quote is fixed (unless the spec changes).

Inform them, diplomatically, that you have the weight of the law behind you and should they refuse to pay you will be talking to your solicitor regarding payment.

I tend not to tell clients how long a job will take and either post or email the quote over; emails best as you've a chain of correspondence linking them to the agreement.

The thing is its a bit regardless of the price if it's £5 or £5000 it's the point that I do a full detailed quote (more so then normal) if they didn't like the price they wouldn't have to accepted the work in the first place. People don't think of what's involved in pricing I know for a fact I'm not the cheapest around but our work is always completed to a very high standard and we have all the licences, insurances, equipment etc etc you all know the score

If I did ask her she would probably say £20 or something stupid might be worth a laugh though!

Oh the joys of been self employed. Sounds like you have gone about things the right way, a quote in writing is always best as it clearly outlines the work you intend to carry out and for the price you have quoted. I would go around with an invoice and your original quote and explain that you have done everything you both agreed on and if they won't pay up say you will have no choice but to take them through the small claims court! Don't just write the job off that's what they want you to do if they try and pull the I don't speak English trick say that if they were unsure of anything they should have brought any issues / concerns to light prior to work commencing. As time goes by you will be able to spot a good / bad customer a mile off. It's just a never ending learning curve :thumbup1: