Log Gasification Boilers

County 764

Hi I am looking for some advice on log gasification boilers. Thinking about getting one installed but don't know much about what makes to go for and which to avoid?

Its for a four bed two-story stone built farmhouse with good insulation.

Also any estimates on the annual wood requirements would be appreciated.

Would be looking to run it on a mixture of hardwood and softwood

cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we've just had an 40kw eta fitted so far it seems to be a well thought out piece of kit. go for something with a good efficiency and electronic controls with lambda as it makes a big difference. one thing to bear in mind is make sure its debra approved if you are in a smokeless zone once bitten twice shy

Need to know heat loss?

What quantity of oil or gas /Kw*Hr presently needed to heat=a foolproof answer.

but guessing need about 40 or perhaps 50Kw.

And yes now "lambda" equipped boilers are becoming more affordable, definately a Lambda sensor one (& esp with the recent vast increase in the price of wood)

With about 2500l to 5000l of buffer tank (depending on your intended firing regime)

The best, correctly designed and minimialist fuss installation (that actually works) I have seen was a Froling burner (in a house near Loughguile)

Which was 28Kw with 1000l buffer tank heating about 4000sq ft of new build (and therefore well insulated)

I am considering a suitable installation with a bigger Froling, IF or WHEN our DETNI can decide on payment scheme and terms.

Marcus

PS

The correct Flue height is absolutly critical.

Need sufficient height, and it is bloody expensive, therefore to keep the price attractively low, some cheapskate installers WILL skimp.

GERRR!

Ask me how I know??

Edited by difflock

one thing to bear in mind is make sure its debra approved if you are in a smokeless zone once bitten twice shy

How do you know Marcus?

Breezeblock, is debra your missus, does she work for DEFRA ?

broonie, this sounds like a case for the

:thumbup1:

I'm in pretty much same position

4 bed stone C15 farmhouse

I keep getting attracted to grants but every time I look something puts me off

Latest was another thread here where they said they were looking at allowing wind blown timber to be used

All my firewood is wind blown - does that mean I have to buy fuel in and throw my firewood away?

Talking to people who have gone full green route there seem to be lots of technical glitches

- and then someone on this site saying call outcharges are exhorbitant - when they should be warranty repairs in my umble opinion

What seems to work are back boilers and accumilator tanks - the rest seems a bit dodgy

What I have working at the moment is a "Solarbayer" log burner, sans any electronic controls, which got damp and fried.

I wired the blower fan in direct to the mains (via a switch) ditto for the Laddomat 21.

With a linked 2200l buffer tank

All works 100%, and I suspect virtually as effectively as when it was installed.

No! actually more effectively since I both:

(i) relocated the flue.

(ii) and pushed it from the installed 6.5m(and well under our ridge to the windward side) up to 11.5m(and now well above the ridge)

Man she pulls like a train, the noo.

When I got the installation/ book/ instruction manual, what did it baldly state.

Flue to be a minimum of 10m.

PS

I will attempt to refrain from using "rude and intemperate" language, to describe the !"£$%^&* . . . *&^%$£"! who are generally "accredited", installers.

Snake oil salespersons every one, who move from one well paying Goverment funded scheme to the next, leaving a trail of devestation and ill feeling behind.

Does the Government ever !"£$%^&* learn.

Like fornication they do.

m

Edited by difflock

Need to know heat loss?

What quantity of oil or gas /Kw*Hr presently needed to heat=a foolproof answer.

but guessing need about 40 or perhaps 50Kw.

And yes now "lambda" equipped boilers are becoming more affordable, definately a Lambda sensor one (& esp with the recent vast increase in the price of wood)

With about 2500l to 5000l of buffer tank (depending on your intended firing regime)

The best, correctly designed and minimialist fuss installation (that actually works) I have seen was a Froling burner (in a house near Loughguile)

Which was 28Kw with 1000l buffer tank heating about 4000sq ft of new build (and therefore well insulated)

I am considering a suitable installation with a bigger Froling, IF or WHEN our DETNI can decide on payment scheme and terms.

Marcus

PS

The correct Flue height is absolutly critical.

Need sufficient height, and it is bloody expensive, therefore to keep the price attractively low, some cheapskate installers WILL skimp.

GERRR!

Ask me how I know??

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup:

I've never lived in the house but will be after its renovation so don't know the energy requirements but I did get a home renewables report done last week. All the heating was via an oil fired Rayburn which is being removed tomorrow.

The house is getting a good bit of work carried out on it so now's the time to put a system in.

I thought this boiler looked ok

http://www.ecoangus.co.uk/ecoangus_images/super65/index.html

With regards fuel I supply logs and have registered for being on the Biomass Suppliers List but we also have woodland which is all under approved forest plans so should be ok for self supplying.

we've just had an 40kw eta fitted so far it seems to be a well thought out piece of kit. go for something with a good efficiency and electronic controls with lambda as it makes a big difference. one thing to bear in mind is make sure its debra approved if you are in a smokeless zone once bitten twice shy

Thanks Breezeblock

Do you happen to know what would your approximate yearly tonnage or cubic meters of logs will be over the year?

Also do you self supply or buy timber in?

Cheers