would you pass an inspection

Rod

in relation to the thread about rescue climbers etc

would you on a normal day be worried if the HSE turned up on your site to check you out.

would you pass their requirments

i know that our sites are always up to scratch health and safety wise and wouldn,t be concerned that our training risk assesments etc were good enough

im interested to know how others would feel?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would you on a normal day be worried if the HSE turned up on your site to check you out.

i know that our sites are always up to scratch health and safety wise and wouldn,t be concerned that our training risk assesments etc were good enough

I'd love them to turn up so I could say exactly what I thought of them, the problem with the HSE is they would not stop and challenge Travellers, they have no back bone.

..and yes, I believe I would pass.

It might have been a good idea, if you are starting a thread like this, to list what exactly the requirements are so people can answer your question.

Interesting point! When I've subbed to a couple of companies, we've had HSE drop in, and tbh failed on key points, PTO guards etc,working at height from an A-frame with no safety net or air-bag (I kid you not) and skin cancer risk due to a lad removing his shirt at lunch-time, yet on one inspection I've had on my own jobs, no worries, so far:sneaky2: I know of one person being told it was too dangerous to climb a 120foot Douglas fir to section it out (should have used a mewp, tho SAFE access was an issue).

I think if you show the HSE the respect that they just have a job to do, and generally show you have a safe working procedure, you should be ok, but if you get bolshey with them, they have a huge file of rules and regs that you wont comply with.

Been inspected twice and had no problems both times.:001_cool:

They were pretty clueless to be honest, I had to tell them most stuff:thumbdown:

:001_smile:

if hse went by the book no i would never pass, a few weeks back i got stop because i was on the lorry roof trying to get a hanger out , but there was another firm just two door up and there climber was up a oak with no helmet plus the grounds men and the hse look at them but didnt notice

Did a show last weekend with the sawmill. HSE man on site said he saw two things wrong. One was using the 088 with 4'bar cross cutting near spectators, but agreed he had watched me trying to move the moronic public from being in-line with the saw, the other was no guard on the drivebelt for the mill. It never had one from the factory, and you would need to try very hard to get caught in it. I pointed out that i had removed all the guards from the 'throat' thus exposing the blade- if milling small diameter then there could be 2 foot of blade showing. "not a problem as everyone knows it is dangerous" was the response! I couldnt believe my ears. It would be sooo easy to trip and fall onto that blade!

"I'd love them to turn up so I could say exactly what I thought of them, the problem with the HSE is they would not stop and challenge Travellers, they have no back bone.

..and yes, I believe I would pass."

Dean,

you say on the self rescue thread that 90% of the time you climb without aerial rescue.

So no you wouldn't pass. :thumbdown:

Dean,

you say on the self rescue thread that 90% of the time you climb without aerial rescue.

So no you wouldn't pass. :thumbdown:

So do you have a rescue climber when topping a row of conifers, walking along the middle of conifers trimming, pruning mrs Jones apple tree or crown lifting mrs smiths 30ft Ash.

I'm also afraid that when push comes to shove and I'm right out on the edge of the crown, the branch im on gives and spikes into my leg impaling me, that you average climber will not be able to rescue me, rescuing someone from against a stem is easy, try doing it from the edge of a crown, even the most experienced climber would struggle with that one.