Do heated handles help Arthritis?

Gnarlyoak

Hi guys,

Looking at getting a new saw. I've decided which make & model to go for, just trying to decide if its worth spending a few more of my hard earned dollars on a heated handle variety or not.

Now I know we don't get uber cold winters here, but I do suffer from a bit of arthritis in my fingers. Would heated handles help to ease the effects of this condition, when its cold & wet?

Anyone else experienced similar, switched to using saws with heated handles and noticed an improvement?

I would always recommend heated handles as it's not only the cold but also the wet you need to bear in mind, nothing worse than working with wet gloves and the heated handles help keep your hands warm and toasty.

Yes they cost a few quid more and saw will weigh a few ounces more also but from a comfort point of view definitely worth getting, I wouldn't buy a saw without them now.

Perhaps some anti vibration gloves might help a bit.

Anti-Vibration Gloves | Gloves | Screwfix.com

From riding a motorbike in cold conditions, i know that it's not so much the quality of gloves or amount of gloves you wear. Your hands get cold because your core temperature is falling, this makes the body restrict the flow of blood to the hands and feet. the opposite happens when your core is too warm, the blood flow increases to the limbs and the hands and feet act help to cool the body. That might exacerbate the problems from arthritis due to the cold. Gloves will help, heated handles will help too, but if your hands are still cold, then some extra layers will be more effective.

Edited by enrieb

Hi guys,

Looking at getting a new saw. I've decided which make & model to go for, just trying to decide if its worth spending a few more of my hard earned dollars on a heated handle variety or not.

Now I know we don't get uber cold winters here, but I do suffer from a bit of arthritis in my fingers. Would heated handles help to ease the effects of this condition, when its cold & wet?

Anyone else experienced similar, switched to using saws with heated handles and noticed an improvement?

Hi mate heated handle are great mate I would heated one thanks Jon

I would always recommend heated handles as it's not only the cold but also the wet you need to bear in mind, nothing worse than working with wet gloves and the heated handles help keep your hands warm and toasty.

Yes they cost a few quid more and saw will weigh a few ounces more also but from a comfort point of view definitely worth getting, I wouldn't buy a saw without them now.

Id second that absolutely. I suffer from whitefinger a bit and the heat really helps with this too.

Also, its a great feeling putting your gloved hand on the handles when its raining hard, and after a few minutes your hands are warm and dry.

Small comforts are worth it as an old forester once told me, "any fool can be uncomfortable".

Would not buy a new saw without them if they are an option.

Very little difference in price tbh no more than a couple of chains or a few tanks of fuel

If you can't afford the extra then just wait till you can

Worth every penny if it allows you to carry on working later in your career