Self Rescue

Rob Murf

Do you only climb with another competent climber.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only climb with another competent climber.

• Always
    • Mostly
    • Sometimes.
    • Rarely

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The work at height regulations places duty even on the self employed to plan for emergencies and rescue.

When carrying out climbing operations with a chainsaw that really has to include a competent rescue person on site.

Some people will choose to follow this and others wont, but I don't believe any one has to work without a rescuer because of the cost. Its a choice. As the industry matures I hope we see less and less people climbing without competent rescuers. And every one will be able to take home good money for a good days work.

And do you really think that this kind of rescue climber is of any REAL use????

its got to be better than nothing

and if he dose the climbing on easy stuff he always has a good rescuer on site that way he gets better and better and when the tree is to difficult atleast he might be of some use rather than none at all if he cant climb

The work at height regulations places duty even on the self employed to plan for emergencies and rescue.

When carrying out climbing operations with a chainsaw that really has to include a competent rescue person on site.

Some people will choose to follow this and others wont, but I don't believe any one has to work without a rescuer because of the cost. Its a choice. As the industry matures I hope we see less and less people climbing without competent rescuers. And every one will be able to take home good money for a good days work.

Thank you

Interesting thread this.

Like I said earlier, when at work we always have two climbers on site – however, when I get the opportunity to do a little weekend work I’m always on my own, rightly or wrongly money is the overriding factor. I’ve never even thought of asking a work mate to come and help me out because profits would be cut by half. I’d rather take the risk thank you.

Thats the one John, when you are the climber you have the choice, £200 plus a week in profit, or a guy on site who may or may not be able to rescue you, IF you put you self into a situation where you need rescuing.

If you employ a climber, on the books or a subie, you do not have that choice.

And do you really think that this kind of rescue climber is of any REAL use????

He's going to be more use than not having any idea of what to do. Hopefully he will never be needed but if in 6, 9, 12 months time he is needed then as long as Dean is keeping him on the ball....practising rescues every now and then, giving him a little climb once in a while then surely its better than him looking up into the tree going 'err...what do i do?'

im still finding this amount of risk taking hard to understand

i cant believe what im reading and on the thread about hse i started everyone says they would be fine if hse turned up:confused1:

yet saying one climber is ok on here :confused1::confused1:

train the bugger then and let him do the easier stuff until he gets good

then you'll be sorted? why is that not already the done?:001_smile:

He's booked into Askern Bryan september, I aso want him to go on to do a degree.

The point here as you point out, he may have the ticket but still wont be ready to ariel rescue, IMO, till he has a LOT of climbing experience under his belt.

To me most of this is about ticking boxes which is wrong

The reason he hasn't gone before now is it takes time to know he is interested enough to stay on plus the time getting him booked into college

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

im still finding this amount of risk taking hard to understand

i cant believe what im reading and on the thread about hse i started everyone says they would be fine if hse turned up:confused1:

yet saying one climber is ok on here :confused1::confused1:

Please give me ONE example of a self employed climber doing his own work who has been prosecuted?

I asked the HSE, at the APF, if I needed a rescue climber, they said NO