Self Rescue

Rob Murf

Do you only climb with another competent climber.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only climb with another competent climber.

• Always
    • Mostly
    • Sometimes.
    • Rarely

:blushing: Sorry Tony, but that argument really gets my goat, all my family are self employed and hard working, we pay our own way.

My dad is 66 and still working, he started work at 15 and has never had a penny in benefits.

I see fat slobs in the 30s who have never worked and are ridding round on scooter (because they are lazy, greedy slobs, not because of real illness) that my taxes have paid for!!!!!:mad1:

I don't disagree. My point wasn't aimed at anyone individually. I wasn't accusing anyone of sponging, I was trying to show why society sometimes makes rules up to try to control individual actions because whether we like it or not, we're stuck on a island with each other. You and me both!

Now whether those rules are useful / functional / absurd is another thing altogether... :D

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

But at the risk of repeating myself (and subsequently having to edit another one of your posts for the language you knew would have to be edited :closedeyes:) - the system wasn't built for you. It was built for all of us, by us. So sometimes it's not fair on the individual, sometimes it gets exploited and sometimes it fails completely.

However, most days it works for most people. Look at it on the wider scale.

No.... we will look at it from the thread title point of veiw, that is how I look at it.

For you to suggest that cost to us all is an issue is utter crock... :sneaky2:

Edit a lot of my posts for language do you tony ?????

Edited by Dean Lofthouse
oops

If the HSE was about saving money (due to not being hospitalized) and therefore wanted us to not get injured them you should be able to shop some dodgy people in and they then get prosecuted/fined/jailed whatever, but it dont work like that, from what ive seen they will come in after an accident and pull a big comedy sized Kenny Everett hand out and start pointing.

BTW just for the record I still think tree work is dangerous,just like driving a car but I still do it. :001_smile:

Im with Huck and Dean on this, yes i agree that employees should be protected agains being made to take silly risks but my life is in my hands and I am happy with that, i would rather me get hurt than some one working for me. An element of risk/danger keeps you sharp and thinking, once you stop thinking because your all snug in your cotton wool suit it's too late and thats when accidents happen, look at fred dibnah up 300ft chimneys, no harness walking along boards etc, no man at the bottom with one foot on the ladder to fly up 300ft to do a super rescue! im not saying this is right or i would do it but thats life

A few years back i was talking to a HSE man and asked him what he thought, even agreed we live in a stupid world, he said all air bags should be banned and a large metal spike fitted to the stearing wheel instead, this would make people drive with more care, silly but true.

What happened??

If I had these accidents that many seem to have maybe I would see the need for a rescue climber?? or maybe I would find a new career??

I was dismantling a windblown crown that was hung up in another tree, I had one last cut to do, I attached my secondary anchor and then routed my lifeline away from the big lump that I was cutting out, then undid my tool strop from my harness (which I always do with big lumps). I made the cut, the lump fell away and the limb it was on sprung up, throwing me off.

This wasn't too much of a problem as I'd stropped in to it, however, I swung under the limb and couldn't get back onto the branch. My Grillon strop was tight across my chest and was inhibiting by breathing. I got the other end of my line, anchored to the limb and cut my strop and self rescued. My vision was just starting to go and it took me 5 mins to get my breath back!.

Moral of the story?....always have a sharp knife in your chainsaw trouser pocket (or use a MEWP for every windblow job you get!:blushing:)

the one time any of us has an accident and needs rescuing for real and they have a rescuer with them, and gets rescued by them then they will be very glad they did.

please all stop saying you will never have an accident

deffinition of accident:

a happening that is not expected, foreseen, or intended

an unpleasant and unintended happening, sometimes resulting from negligence, that results in injury, loss, damage, etc.

Law an unforeseen event that occurs without anyone's fault or negligence

please all stop saying you will never have an accident

My friend was in tree surgery over twenty five years, he never had an accident.

He was killed last year, servicing his Unimog

He would have had a standby climber stood twiddling his thumbs at the bottom of the tree waiting to excercise his fang dangle rescue techniques for 25 years for nothing....

Please credit us that don't want a rescue climber with at least the choice

My friend was in tree surgery over twenty five years, he never had an accident.

He was killed last year, servicing his Unimog

He would have had a standby climber stood twiddling his thumbs at the bottom of the tree waiting to excercise his fang dangle rescue techniques for 25 years for nothing....

Please credit us that don't want a rescue climber with at least the choice

sorry dean dont quite understand that one:confused1:

I was dismantling a windblown crown that was hung up in another tree, I had one last cut to do, I attached my secondary anchor and then routed my lifeline away from the big lump that I was cutting out, then undid my tool strop from my harness (which I always do with big lumps). I made the cut, the lump fell away and the limb it was on sprung up, throwing me off.

This wasn't too much of a problem as I'd stropped in to it, however, I swung under the limb and couldn't get back onto the branch. My Grillon strop was tight across my chest and was inhibiting by breathing. I got the other end of my line, anchored to the limb and cut my strop and self rescued. My vision was just starting to go and it took me 5 mins to get my breath back!.

Moral of the story?....always have a sharp knife in your chainsaw trouser pocket (or use a MEWP for every windblow job you get!:blushing:)

Would you not of been better without a second anchor??

I suppose thats just another rule I often ignore when I feel is safer to do it my way.