Self Rescue

Rob Murf

Do you only climb with another competent climber.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only climb with another competent climber.

• Always
    • Mostly
    • Sometimes.
    • Rarely

Wow! I can't believe what I'm reading here. I would never climb without a competant rescuer on site nor would I expect anyone working for me to do the same thing.

Isn't CS38 a vital part of any groundsmans training? If my guys are not climbing regularly and are sent out as a rescuer then they must carry out rescue practice every 3 months at least.

We are not a big firm or LA and have to be very competative. I remember when I was freelance climbing I ended up insisting on providing my own trained groundsman for firms who didn't have one I would want to count on. I cant imagine why anyone would work like that. I think you must either be to tight to train or employ a trained guy or ignorant enough to believe that an accident would never happen to you.

I thought this forum was for professionals, working at hight with no rescuer is imo very unproffesional. If this is how people operate to keep cost down all that does is make it even harded for the true professionals to make an honest living.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not I am extremely safety concious, some of you may laugh, but I am always planning each and every move, analising where I will go how I will get down and don't if possible leave myself with no self rescue route, I always position my rope so I can lower myself without to much hassle

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/7642-another-lesson-learned.html

Cutting and holding is not very safety conscious!:scared1:

I think you must either be to tight to train or employ a trained guy or ignorant enough to believe that an accident would never happen to you.

I thought this forum was for professionals, working at hight with no rescuer is imo very unproffesional. If this is how people operate to keep cost down all that does is make it even harded for the true professionals to make an honest living.

Some very big words there Gibbon, I hope you are whiter than white mate, because my guess is you are not.

I am my own boss, just me and my groundy and my groundy doesn't climb.

Being called tight and ignorant and not a true professional is not something I take lightly.

Read up on some facts before posting dribble

How could three climbers not rescue you?

If you could get to where you were why couldn't they?

:

lets just say

working for LA, one set of spikes,(LA only owned 1 set) one climber went all faint, one went to get help/phone for help, other one refused to climb.

did a self resuce with one hand so far untill i got stuck.......999 steped in

oh..........3 years later i was £7500 richer....out of court!!!!!!!

Edited by firewoodman

good post. Aerial rescue IS an important part of our job. A lot of people have said they are in positions where they have to climb without any AR back-up. I've worked with companies that have pretty p*ss poor rescue provision in the past, the way I look at it now is, if the blokes aren't qualified, I don't work for them, but I've got a choice. Its not worth hanging in a tree with shock, bleeding to death for a days money at the end of the day.

Having said that, a lot of the lads who are my back-up on the ground don't climb regularly and would take ages to carry out any of the rescue techniques...but its still better than nothing!.

I self-rescued last month after getting trapped under a limb with my side strop inhibiting my diaphragm - it was scary, but I just did what I've been trained to do and got myself on the ground. If I hadn't re-routed my rope and been carrying a knife, it would have been a different story....

Edited by arbogrunt

I self-rescued last month after getting trapped under a limb with my side strop inhibiting my diaphragm - it was scary, but I just did what I've been trained to do and got myself on the ground. If I hadn't re-routed my rope and been carrying a knife, it would have been a different story....

What happened??

If I had these accidents that many seem to have maybe I would see the need for a rescue climber?? or maybe I would find a new career??

In an ideal world we would all have trained/competent rescue climber, but financial constraints depict that I for one can't always achieve this,try as I might. I'm not 'to tight',hopefuly not ignorant,Certainly not ignorant enough to insult people in the course of discussion! the vote stats speak for themselves methinks. Any climbers out there want groundies money?