Shipping/ISO container

New Boy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Does anyone use a Shipping/ISO container for secure storage, am told they are very good and also impossible to break into, is this true as I haven't had any experience with these?

Thanks

New Boy

We play with ISO containers a bit - they're really easy for anyone with a portable angle grinder or a pair of bolt croppers to break into.

I'm sure a few folk on here use them and may have sucessfully modified them to make them more secure.

They are certainly not impossible as standard but if you choose wisely where to put it, then add your own touches you can make it pretty hard to get into fast and very noisy.

They key to security is to add layers and a container is a good and relatively cheap starting point.

Thanks

I was/am considering getting a small 6ft one just for saws really and placing this inside my garage which would be the first layer of security. There are plenty of unsavoury characters around my way so every little helps I guess!

I use a couple for outside storage. They would slow people down & deter casual thieves but certainly not impossible to break into. Weld a few boxes over the padlock sections helps and of course use 2 very hefty padlocks. If I am away for a few days I forklift something heavy in front of the doors as well (couple of cube bags of sand etc). Stick a pir alarm on the inside as well. Slow people down and make a racket is about as much as you can do.

I have seen one broken into via the roof which is quite thin sheet.

I have a 20' container as a combined storage facility and workshop, with a 10' workbench along one side, shelves along the other side and storage for ladders, steel etc on wooden beams across the width of the container 12" from the ceiling.

But remember to put a heavy duty locking bar on the container (many types exist), to pervent the container from being opened with a bolt cutter.

Mine is buried like a bunker. Put a secondary cage door on the inside. Tools inside are locked into lockers. A pir alarm connected to the house alarm which is connected to a third party. Then site covered with CCTV. Also have two 1/2" plates welded top an bottom which hold a full height 1" square tube filled with a rebar and cement which stops the handles being used. With no interruptions and a sthil saw I estimate 15-30 mins of cutting before they're in and onto the 2nd door of the cadge. By this time the alarms hopefully gone off and there's still 15-20 mins before they get to any tools. Takes me ten minuets to get in and lock up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Mine is buried like a bunker. Put a secondary cage door on the inside. Tools inside are locked into lockers. A pir alarm connected to the house alarm which is connected to a third party. Then site covered with CCTV. Also have two 1/2" plates welded top an bottom which hold a full height 1" square tube filled with a rebar and cement which stops the handles being used. With no interruptions and a sthil saw I estimate 15-30 mins of cutting before they're in and onto the 2nd door of the cadge. By this time the alarms hopefully gone off and there's still 15-20 mins before they get to any tools. Takes me ten minuets to get in and lock up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

gas axe 5mins ,ther in ,takes em 2mins to knock yr cctv & alarms out ,dont under estimate these scum bags there good @ what they do ,:thumbdown:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F261486463013%3F_trksid%3Dp2055119.m1438.l2649%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT

something like this would help