Which saw?

Justme

Must admit I got a Stihl 210 (discontinued) as a bit of a joke on a trade in. Basically a 181 with a bigger badge. This has become my favourite saw for nearly everything! 12" bar, light, fast, not ever tempted to abuse it for ringing etc., Horses for courses mate.

If you are knocking down 24" trees with any regularity, you need to spend some serious money.

Unless you mean height...

Joe's shout about Stihl MS 440/441 is a good 'un. Run mine 16-25" and they are always a happy saw.

As it's not your main job and money is an issue go have a look at Makita(dolmar) and Jonsered (husky) there both good powerfull saws and a lot cheaper than the main two but will also last you years. Also think about the re sale value, if you buy something with a good badge you will sell it on when you have finished with it and get some money back, whith the cheap unbranded stuff its a bin job.:001_tt1:

As it's not your main job and money is an issue go have a look at Makita(dolmar) and Jonsered (husky) there both good powerfull saws and a lot cheaper than the main two but will also last you years. Also think about the re sale value, if you buy something with a good badge you will sell it on when you have finished with it and get some money back, whith the cheap unbranded stuff its a bin job.:001_tt1:

Thanks for that.

Yeh if I was doing it for my income at the levels (£2-400) I see quoted in here per day (I dont make that per week lol) I would have one of the big two. Also not to bothered about resale value as I find that once I buy a tool I keep it till its not economical to repair it or I modify radicaly it to do a one off job that then renders it as scrap.

No I dont do 24" trees very often in fact I think I have done all the ones that need doing. I am only looking after a 1 hectare plot & restarting some copicing plus cutting fire wood. As the McCulloch has lasted 6 years with a minimal of new parts I dont think I need the build quality of the big 2. I do need better quaility than the cheep import saws. I have one & yes its got power but its so rough round the edges its not nice to work with for long. Would be ok for the actual felling of the bigger trees but not the snedding / trimming / ringing up.

Justme

• 1 month later...