first aid kit

forest tink

But it's only a recommendation.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Its there for a reason, if someone administers pills or potions that you put in the first aid box and the patient suffers because of it you are going to feel the consequences in the form of a prosecution from the HSE and the injured parties ambulance chaser right behind them, bend down and drop yer strides.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. "Then get some training on how to use them! "

More important than any kit

+1 and dont forget the refresher courses, We have 3 first aiders , when the refresher courses come up its surprising how techniques and methods change in time. None of us feel its a waste of time. On one of the replies here there was mention of a tourniquet to stem a serious arterial bleed, this was the standard on the first course but on the last refresher its was last thing you do .

4 Ways to Apply a Tourniquet - wikiHow

Bob

Just to put worse case scenario out there for folks who feel getting down is the most important thing.

You cut your arm so badly that you sever the nerves and can't use your hand. You have your other hand to get the dressing out and apply/hold pressure on the wound.

How do you get down?

Proper training for WAH with a chainsaw, Proper training for FA, Proper training for aerial rescue.

And you realise how futile most of this is if you have a big injury.

Make sure your rope is clear each time you make a cut, ready for quick self descent, and be careful not to cut yourself.

I carry a big wound dressing in my trousers. It'd be ok to treat others. Not sure how I'd get it on me. I've always thought training and a hand is the best 'real' first aid one can have.

I wear braces but my saw trousers also have belt loops. I make use of the loops in various ways, one being a secondary attachment point for a 1st aid kit. No reason for me to be bothered about attachment in this manner, as I don't climb trees with a saw, so the kit is not obscured by a harness or ropes, etc.

All my personal 1st aid kits, except one, has started out as a basic bag for the intended activity. Then has be modified and or been added to, as I've seen fit. So my kits have paracetamol amongst other mods. I'm fully aware, that it would be ill advised to administer them and or a cream I may carry to someone else. But I carry them, as I may well use the kit for the benefit of my 'own' health. Not every need for 1st aid will require I whip out multiple large wound/field dressings. I may just need a padded plaster to ease chafing on a finger or other, until I can do something more effective and longer lasting.

Good sense has a hand in 1st aid. You don't suck a finger injury, as you could well contaminate the injury or swallow something unsettling or maybe get a metal splinter in your mouth. But no body's suggesting you don't take/produce saliva.

My rock climbing kit is mainly bandages and plasters but there's other stuff too. My cycling kit has a number of ordinary plasters and blister plasters too but that's not its only content. Paddling kits are fitted out for either touring or ww. The one I carry in the car, is 90% bandages and lots of them.

If I carry a rucksack, there's a 1st aid kit suitable for the intended main activity or for minor & general injuries in the case of my day-sac. I attended the arb show, took my day-sac and in one of the side pockets, was that sac's 1st aid kit. All my 1st aid kits have various plasters, bandages, steri-strips & a re-sus aid as a minimum.

The HSE can dictate certain things in a workplace. What else I add and whether I choose to administer them, is up to me. If you're afraid of coffin-chasing-lawyers, I suggest you leave helping people/animals to others. You can still be supportive & helpful, without having to touch a living/recently deceased soul. But even being a designated 1st Aider, does not obligate you in law to help others. If you choose to, you do; if you choose not to, you do not.