Rope fluff

Lancstree

I've been off work for a few weeks due to a driving accident and I opened my climbing bag today to a damp harness and rope. The rope had some sort of fungi on it that was white and fluffy and came off easily when the hand was run down it. This is no doubt due to my gear being stored while wet and left in the van locker which is dark. Has anyone seen this before? I wonder if it causes any harm to the rope?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it on my rope a couple of times, I doubt it does any long term damage as rope is plastic, probably growing of the wet broth of water and detritus rather than the rope fibre themselves.

I generally wash my rope every 6 months, you can buy specially additives to add to the wash, which improve water repellency.

your rope should be fine. My major tip is to avoid putting wet ropes in bags, they will remain wet. All our soft (ropes harnesses etc) get coiled and hung up in the van (a simple set of hooks on the wall) they dry out and remain mould free. Left wet they will end up stinking in no time at all.

The person splicing an eye on your shortened blaze climbing line doesn't appreciate this at all:proud: you know who you are.

Jamie

I would recommend hand washing your ropes after every wet day its not hard at all and the ropes will last alot longer after a year it still looks brand new.

Plus it is alot easy to move on a clean line

I will deteriate the rope if repeatly done.:wave:

I would recommend hand washing your ropes after every wet day its not hard at all and the ropes will last alot longer after a year it still looks brand new.

Plus it is alot easy to move on a clean line

I will deteriate the rope if repeatly done.:wave:

It's very wet here in the north west,and life is to short.

That sounds like overkill. Just let a fan blow on em overnight to dry them. Water doesn't hurt a rope.