New House Anchor Points

Dean Lofthouse

When I was at Uni I asked a guest lecturer from HSE what the blokes who installed anchor points anchored into? He waffled a bit, got red in the face, said there was ALWAYS a safe way, then accused me of being a northern rabble rouser! Me!

Anyway, a couple of years later he got called in to inspect an unsafe pile shaft. During this inspection he fell into it and was fatally mortally killed dead.

Maybe he should have used an anchor point....

Some buildings do have eyes, however they have to be periodicaly load tested, I have seen this being done. I was working near some flats in Musselburgh the other day, they were probably build around 1900, each one had some quality iron ladders from the roof down to the first floor so all you needed was a one story ladder to get to the first rung.

My understanding of the working at hight regs is that you cannot carry out work from a ladder, (unless you are secured by other means as well, IE roped in) the only exemptions are window cleaning and painting.

One of the key points about ladders and the WAH act is 3 points of contact, painters and decorators can still use ladders upto a certain height as long as they keep 3 points of contact i.e both feet and one hand on the ladder, there are tools out there that allow them to do this for wondow cleaners holstered squegees and buckets for one handed access.

Hedgecutting simples cannot be done off any ladder or steps legaly your not even allowed to be 1 ft off the ground as it takes 2 hands to hold a hedgecutter, you need either a mewp or some kind of tower-fold out platform with enclosed rail.

As for stripping ivy if you can keep 3 points of contact the this would be o.k.

I think!

BT engineers have to rope their ladders top and bottom on the pole, how they go about installing the anchor eye on the house I dont know, but they do.

Sky were round at our house last week to fix a fault. The engineer drilled into the house wall and fitted a temp anchor while he checked the dish which is only about 12 feet off the ground. If you do not giver them pernission to install the anchor they have to bring in a trained ladder footer at your cost!!

I wonder how long the course is to become a trained ladder footer????