ARB Approved...are you "sitting on the fence?"

AA Teccie (Paul)

Running the risk of being shot down here ? I really love the whole concept of being Arb Approved . Although some of the worst tree work I have seen over the last 5 years has been done by Arb Approved Contractors ? North West area Cheshire and Staffordshire some of the schools and colleges have had some horrific tree pruning operations carried out ? For me this kind of defeats the object of even being an approved contractor . I will always have standards .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running the risk of being shot down here ? I really love the whole concept of being Arb Approved . Although some of the worst tree work I have seen over the last 5 years has been done by Arb Approved Contractors ? North West area Cheshire and Staffordshire some of the schools and colleges have had some horrific tree pruning operations carried out ? For me this kind of defeats the object of even being an approved contractor . I will always have standards .

No shooting down at all and hearing things like this is always concerning.

i can assure you that all ArbACs show they are capable of undertaking BS3998 compliant pruning at initiall assessment and every 2 years thereafter. To be fair, some just make the grade and others are excellent, hence there can be a variance in standards observed. However not to the extent of being "horrific!"

The responsibility fot maintaining standards in betwen times is the 'approved' manager and the safeguard is the complaints procedure...not perfect but the best we can do currently.

i would add that often, as with others, ArbACs are often asked to undertake substandard works which we can't control but willninvestigate if it comes to my attention.

as i say not perfect but improving alnthe time...i hope.

cheers..

paul

what percentage of small business are undertaking a second term assessment?

Hi Craig, nice to hear, hope you're well.

To date we've only had 2 new, small business, ArbACs leave the scheme at the 2 yr :reassessment. Hence circa 5% (if my calcs are right.:confused1:)

I honestly think ArbACs feel better supported, and better promoted, ie "partnered", than before and hence worthwhile staying...i hope so anyway :biggrin:

not to be complacent tho as i know ther's still work to do!

cheers for the post..

Paul

Not at all...good call!

Yeah, the contractor scheme is moving in the right direction I believe / hope (not before time I know) but numbers are now in the 250 region, from 150 3 years ago. Also encouraging is the fact that the small businesses account for 42% of that 250 where it was previously only 18%.

Still, onwards and upwards as they say :001_smile:

Thanks again..:thumbup1:

Paul

So to be clear, there are 250 AA approved contractors in the UK, or am I reading that wrong?