Anyone considered making something like the GRCS?

Coletti

Ahh I see. I have no fears of it being strong enough as I'll get my brother to do all the fabricating as that's been his trade for the past 10 years but the lack of certification bothers me due to the implications if something went wrong. It's yet another Idea I think I may keep as just an idea haha

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At risk of being shot down...I was just wondering if anyone had considered making something like the GRCS? its a great tool but at an astounding price of nearly £2500 it seems a little expensive. I was looking recently and you can get a 2 speed self tailing boat winch for around 500 ( two speed self tailing sailboat winches - Google Search ) and im sure it wouldn't take much to fab up a plate to mount it for use. Not too much criticism please as it is only a thought :) haha

Hi there, sorry to be something of a "kill-joy" here and I quite understand the temptation to self-fabricate a device given the cost involved.

However, a word of caution if I may, in that should the device fail and cause injury, or worse, or damage, if it's not CE marked etc. and LOLER'd your insurance company may not pay out. Thereafter the initial purchase cost, whilst significant, may rapidly pale away.

When Liam McKeown does his bit at the HSE SHAD events he brings along his "black museum", as he calls it, which includes several "home-made" lowering devices which have failed.

Please consider carefully.

Cheers..:thumbup1:

Paul

I have considered it thanks Paul and have decided it was a nice idea to save money but it's not really worth the saving if something we're to go wrong so I'm going to just keep it as an idea

Ah but lads, the old 17th century sayin of "Faint heart never fair maid won" springs to mind!

Particularly when the fair maid's name is money earned and tucked away for retirement!

Now there's a lovely and becoming lass!

Jomoco

Ah but lads, the old 17th century sayin of "Faint heart never fair maid won" springs to mind!

Particularly when the fair maid's name is money earned and tucked away for retirement!

Now there's a lovely and becoming lass!

Jomoco

Except that if it does go wrong they will take your money, your kit, your house and your happy retirement.

And I say that as a man who has made several lowering devices.

Except that if it does go wrong they will take your money, your kit, your house and your happy retirement.

And I say that as a man who has made several lowering devices.

Tell it tu Ed Hobbs yu cynical ole naysayer!

Jomoco:biggrin:

Tell it tu Ed Hobbs yu cynical ole naysayer!

Jomoco:biggrin:

You don't get it do you, the Hobbs is a proprietary device that's been through all the hoops and tests.

It is a certified device, this thread is about home made non certified kit.

Naysayer?................... like I said, I write this as a man who has made many lowering devices, including the one I use daily.

You don't get it do you, the Hobbs is a proprietary device that's been through all the hoops and tests.

It is a certified device, this thread is about home made non certified kit.

Naysayer?................... like I said, I write this as a man who has made many lowering devices, including the one I use daily.

Yep I agree . As my fabricated lowering device is from the same ilke as the hobbs grcs , aka harken winch ? Although mine is from the bay homemade and put together by a coded welded it is better than most and works ace £ 340 all in . Still use my portawrap for day to day use . Like treequip say's when the **** hits the fan ya buggered . Simple just chog it smaller :thumbup: