CEClimb

Honey Bros

The first ever CE approved collection of climbing gear for arborists that has been tested as a complete system - its a good idea.

Agreed, if you don't like then you don't have to buy it. You may be paying an extra premium for getting a complete climbing system in a bag but it'll be worth it for some just not for others.

I don't think this is an indication of where things are going is just another option out there, you can already buy pre tied prussik loops and be paying a premium.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly pointless, surely any dealer would'nt sell non CE marked kit anyway? why limit options to a few preselected kit combos? Does this mean that if the hitch cord wears out you have to chuck the whole lot? and if not why not buy all the components separately anyway for less £££? All this appears to do is complicate LOLER inspections and record keeping. Is this one item on a loler inspection? or do all the pieces appear individually, in which case whats the advantage?

I think its a great product. It would be better if when you bought all the items together in the climbing kit it was cheaper than if you purchased them separately. I guess they are trying to dump the certification and testing costs all on the kits rather than considering them as general overheads and spreading the cost.

I hope it never becomes a requirement to have ce certified climbing systems. Its nice to have the choice of what, cord, rope, hitch combo you use and there are so many combinations that the cost of testing them all would be phenomenal.

Now I think I understand, the whols system has been tested as one piece and is certified as such. It may be useful for big employers who can equip all their guys with the same gear and cover their asses that little bit more. However What happens when some bright spark at the HSE decides that all kits need to be like this? Then smaller manufaturers may pull out of the market and larger ones will put prices up in order to cover the cost of testing. It seems a little ott to me since if you tie a hitch incorrectly then it is irelevant wether the system is certified of not. Are only certain hitches tested? afterall I can think of at least 10 different ones, thats a lot of rope / cord combos to break. Imagine if they tell people that they can't us their favourite hitch anymore because it hasn't been tested with that rope / cord.

My point exactly

Now I think I understand, the whols system has been tested as one piece and is certified as such. It may be useful for big employers who can equip all their guys with the same gear and cover their asses that little bit more. However What happens when some bright spark at the HSE decides that all kits need to be like this? Then smaller manufaturers may pull out of the market and larger ones will put prices up in order to cover the cost of testing. It seems a little ott to me since if you tie a hitch incorrectly then it is irelevant wether the system is certified of not. Are only certain hitches tested? afterall I can think of at least 10 different ones, thats a lot of rope / cord combos to break. Imagine if they tell people that they can't us their favourite hitch anymore because it hasn't been tested with that rope / cord.

i think folks it is all about showing a system works within good peramiters in a range of set ups rather than the experiensial way we do things at the moment.

i could not ever imagine this going all over every kit but i can imagine that more companies may follow suit.

is it a bad thing it has been done, no quite the opposite

kev

Tom, as I understand it the kit comes with the hitch already tied in a particular fashion to which the CE applies.

Sorry Kev I don t agree.

Usually these things get out of control. you only have to look at the amount of cameras watching us daily to see how the nanny state will exploit anything they can

is it a bad thing it has been done, no quite the opposite

kev