Fungal colonisation strategies?

hesslemount

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

inonotus hispidus is a heart rot, it does however cause cambium die off in localised areas, or necroses, this enables it to fruit, it is also not at all saprobic suggesting a strongly biotrophic nature (parasitic) I feel its mode of entry is as others suggest fresh wounds and or deadwood stubs

Not at all saprobic isn't entirley accurate from what I've seen of Inonotus hispidus Tony.

Although this instance (from whippendell woods) doesn't show that it was not already in the wood before it separated, it's obviously still active on a long time dead/dropped branch which says to me that at this stage of its life cycle it was saprobic.

Saprobe "A saprobe is an organism that derives its nutrition from the dead remains of other organisms".

IMG_4430.jpg.b4c08e3803ebe4a2bf1c6765087c171e.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg.c70f7b8b6e31910a8c52f8ddd2870d1b.jpg

Not at all saprobic isn't entirley accurate from what I've seen of Inonotus hispidus Tony.

Although this instance (from whippendell woods) doesn't show that it was not already in the wood before it separated, it's obviously still active on a long time dead/dropped branch which says to me that at this stage of its life cycle it was saprobic.

Saprobe "A saprobe is an organism that derives its nutrition from the dead remains of other organisms".

yes I too have seen it on a stem lying on the floor, for the last time only, never again.

I spoke to ted green on this matter, he is insistent or rather was that fungi dont effect living wood, I gave him the challenge to find hispidus on wood that was dead, long term. He admitted it was a good challenge.

David, how many standing dead ash have you seen with it, or plains or sorbus or malus for that matter.

you offer not for the first time one fallen branch as your case point, youll have to go a LOT further my old mucka

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

yes I too have seen it on a stem lying on the floor, for the last time only, never again.

I spoke to ted green on this matter, he is insistent or rather was that fungi dont effect living wood, I gave him the challenge to find hispidus on wood that was dead, long term. He admitted it was a good challenge.

David, how many standing dead ash have you seen with it, or plains or sorbus or malus for that matter.

you offer not for the first time one fallen branch as your case point, youll have to go a LOT further my old mucka

not sure if I have seen it fruiting on standing dead trees of those species, Tony

can't say that I've had a camera at hand every single time I've needed one.

but on fallen 'dead/dysfunctional' lumps of ash, certainly more than once........see below.

I tend to show the one from Whippendell because I happen to think its a good example of a specific fungal species at work on a dead as dodo piece of woody biomass showing its propensity to act as (amongst other things) a saprotroph.

IMG_4715.jpg.de3d0ef1f805b32695f87bff5e3ce37f.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg.9bb9cd0a23cb90662433f3954e584173.jpg

Is it a foolish assumption to suppose that fungi of the same genus exhibit the same colonisation strategies? Even if there are 'anomalies' could it be assumed that this is 'mostly' the case?

Not quite foolish but 'mostly the case' seems to be a good starting point. And furthermore some fungi are capable of more than one means of colonisation, as far as I have read (i.e. I'm not making it up from my own experience). Thus Armillaria mellea can colonise by sapwood exposed either by rhizomorphs ofr spores, bu can and most often does colonise by active pathogenicity. Also Keretzschmaria deusta is held by some authors to be sapwood exposed but on the recently circulated PTI list it is down as heartwood. It may be both, with slim chance of being actively pathogenic too.

Few woud argue that Nectria coccinea colonises living wood, but Nectria cinnabarina seemingly can't be made to do the same and goes only for dead wood. Pleurotus ostreatus is on the cusp of colonising live wod, the same might not be said for the other Pleurotus species (dryinus or cornucopia).

If you're trying for definitive answers, you may get frustrated because well respected authorities will give different answers. Eery now and again fungi ger reassigned to different or new genus'. Like Nectria and Neonectria. And I also sense that fungi that attack heartwood get called heartwood colonisers even though they may gain entry and colonise initially by other means.

If you need answers for an exam, learn what the curriculum tells you the answer is. Then you can passs and spend the rest of your life qualified and find what the real answer is.

Not quite foolish but 'mostly the case' seems to be a good starting point. And furthermore some fungi are capable of more than one means of colonisation, as far as I have read (i.e. I'm not making it up from my own experience). Thus Armillaria mellea can colonise by sapwood exposed either by rhizomorphs ofr spores, bu can and most often does colonise by active pathogenicity. Also Keretzschmaria deusta is held by some authors to be sapwood exposed but on the recently circulated PTI list it is down as heartwood. It may be both, with slim chance of being actively pathogenic too.

Few woud argue that Nectria coccinea colonises living wood, but Nectria cinnabarina seemingly can't be made to do the same and goes only for dead wood. Pleurotus ostreatus is on the cusp of colonising live wod, the same might not be said for the other Pleurotus species (dryinus or cornucopia).

If you're trying for definitive answers, you may get frustrated because well respected authorities will give different answers. Eery now and again fungi ger reassigned to different or new genus'. Like Nectria and Neonectria. And I also sense that fungi that attack heartwood get called heartwood colonisers even though they may gain entry and colonise initially by other means.

If you need answers for an exam, learn what the curriculum tells you the answer is. Then you can passs and spend the rest of your life qualified and find what the real answer is.

theres a lot of good advice here, and a few subtle words:001_rolleyes:

Good post jules! :001_smile:

A well respected tree man told me to read, listen and learn all the research and evidence that has been produced by the leading figures in arb, bring that information together with your own experiences and come to your own conclusions.

That advice often inspires to learn more- trying to make my own experiences make sense I guess.

MM