Tipper Trailer Advice

New Boy

I will soon need to buy a tipping trailer and having never used one before I would like some advice please.

I need a trailer as I have change my vehicle to a Toyota Hilux 4L so plenty of pulling power. I have looked on-line at Ifor Williams trailers which all look good and I am leaning towards them in general, but the main question is what size to buy, is it a question as going a big as possible?

Also does anyone use a tipping trailer daily, if so how do you manage both, logs, chip and branches etc?

Lots of questions any advice will be well received!!

Thanks.

New Boy

Hello Newboy, i run an ifor williams (non tipping) 10' Long X 5'6'' wide trailer and tow it with an old low powered (bout 100BHP) 4x4 pickup truck. I too am going to upgrade to a tipping trailer as i have greedy boards on the my present one and forking it off at the end of a busy day ie; lots of chip is quite tiring especially if i have filled the pickup with chip too as it does not tip either. I'm going to go for the next size up which i believe to be 12' long X 6' wide as i also carry a small Greenmech chipper on the back end of the trailer and need all the space i can get without going too large on the trailer front as it'd be too big and easy to overload and stress me truck out plus it'd be illegal...

I will soon need to buy a tipping trailer and having never used one before I would like some advice please.

I need a trailer as I have change my vehicle to a Toyota Hilux 4L so plenty of pulling power. I have looked on-line at Ifor Williams trailers which all look good and I am leaning towards them in general, but the main question is what size to buy, is it a question as going a big as possible?

Also does anyone use a tipping trailer daily, if so how do you manage both, logs, chip and branches etc?

Lots of questions any advice will be well received!!

Thanks.

New Boy

I think that everyone says that the Ifor's... 'aren't built like they used to be.' There are a few threads on here recommending other makes which are cheaper and better made.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/large-equipment/73502-tipping-trailer-2014-8x5.html

I'm interested to see how this thread goes, I've been looking at getting a tipping trailer myself only problem and hopefully someone can help me out on this, I know they are a bit higher than a standard drop side, does this have any effect on loading on a tracked Timberwolf? I know I would have to find one with a big enough payload but would there be problems with balance on corners etc with the height?

Sorry New Boy if I hijacked a bit there a wee bit there :/

Jay

Have a look at the Brian James trailers. I went for the 3m bed tipper as I cut a lot of logs on the estate to 3m. I opted for mesh sides too, and added ramps, which can hook on anywhere around the trailer. There are longer ramps available which helps if you are loading machinery, but not found the shorter ones a problem.

Been using mine for around 2 1/2 years now and it's holding up well. The battery is good for quite a few tips, but if it runs out you are supplied as standard with a plugged lead that connects to the car battery for emergency tipping.

That size, near to the brim with leylandii chip and logs on top came to 1300kg load the other day.

I'm interested to see how this thread goes, I've been looking at getting a tipping trailer myself only problem and hopefully someone can help me out on this, I know they are a bit higher than a standard drop side, does this have any effect on loading on a tracked Timberwolf? I know I would have to find one with a big enough payload but would there be problems with balance on corners etc with the height?

Sorry New Boy if I hijacked a bit there a wee bit there :/

Jay

We load a predator 28 onto an ifor tt105 no problem with the ramps. Towings fine, we use defender 90s. Hope this helps.

We load a predator 28 onto an ifor tt105 no problem with the ramps. Towings fine, we use defender 90s. Hope this helps.

Cheers glark,

Just had a look at the trailer and stump grinder weight etc, gives me a better insight. Last tipping trailer I used was quite high so always been a bit wary.

Jay

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1400629154.726104.jpg.9ce9bed3b842a69c49ec3251e45c2545.jpg

Here's mine Ifor Williams TT3017 tipper with 6000lbs winch, fully caged and Ali ramps. The forst fits on perfect even been known to squeeze on a bandit HB20 at the same time! Have no probs with stability when towing you hardly know it there sometimes :) my hilux has had a few engine upgrades and also remapped engine management system so around 250bhp. I had an 8"" Jensen towable and 140ho transit crew cab before this......I wouldn't change back!