560XP Hot start.

Alycidon

Bought a new 560XP a few weeks ago, use it for ringing larger logs to put through the splitter on my processor.

Cold start works as per the book perfectly, but had a problem with the hot start yesterday afternoon. Teaching my daughter how to use my processor and of course we had quite a few stops.

Press decompression button, pump bulb to pressurise if having refuelled, otherwise not. No choke. press down on choke lever to set throttle, chain brake on and away you go. Instructions say pull it and it should run, and sometimes it does. But if its a quick restart then it fires and runs for maybe one second then dies. Fuel is of same batch.

Once it does fire and pick up it does work well, the air filter is taken off and blown out before work starts and the chain is sharpened. Very little contamination anyway.

Any ideas on the starting technique needed, seems I must be doing something not quite right. Feels like its a fuel issue, filter in tank is clean, saw has done under 10 hours work.

Thanks in advance,

A

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a new 560XP a few weeks ago, use it for ringing larger logs to put through the splitter on my processor.

Cold start works as per the book perfectly, but had a problem with the hot start yesterday afternoon. Teaching my daughter how to use my processor and of course we had quite a few stops.

Press decompression button, pump bulb to pressurise if having refuelled, otherwise not. No choke. press down on choke lever to set throttle, chain brake on and away you go. Instructions say pull it and it should run, and sometimes it does. But if its a quick restart then it fires and runs for maybe one second then dies. Fuel is of same batch.

Once it does fire and pick up it does work well, the air filter is taken off and blown out before work starts and the chain is sharpened. Very little contamination anyway.

Any ideas on the starting technique needed, seems I must be doing something not quite right. Feels like its a fuel issue, filter in tank is clean, saw has done under 10 hours work.

Thanks in advance,

A

HI MATE on my 560 it lift up for choke it takes time to get used to it but im ok now thanks jon :thumbup:

Mine did that all the time, utter pants saw. You can fix it by selling it and getting a 550 which are brill or take it back to your dealer and they will sort it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

So you use choke when hot as well as cold?.

Hot start procedure is similar to a cold start. But you don't require full choke.

So for a hot start:

•With the chain brake engaged

•Pump the fuel purge the stated number of times

•Press the decompression button

•Pull the choke lever out & up and release

•Then immediately press it back down without pulling the lever out, (this sets it to half-choke)

•Now you can pull the saw over and it should start

•When it fires and continues to run, remember to gently blip the throttle once, which will take it off choke

•If you try a hot start on full choke, (by leaving the choke lever in the upper most position) then the saw just floods

•If you try a hot start without setting half choke, it is doubtful that the saw will start. And continually pulling it over, will result in a flooded engine

•So a cold start requires full choke

•And a hot start require half choke

It shouldn't matter if you've just refuelled. If the engine is still hot, (only been stopped for a few minutes, less than 5-8mins. The half choke should get you back on track.

Some 545, 550XP, 560XP don't like being run dry. If your saw is one of the finicky ones and has been run dry. Then for that first restart after refuelling, you'll halve to follow a cold start procedure; even if the saw has only been off for a few minutes.

Edited by TGB

If you've just refuelled or stopped for a break. Don't leave the decompression button pushed in without attempting a restart. If the decompression button is pushed in, even by accident, you have to pull the saw over to release the decompression button. Otherwise this will result in an instant flood upon an attempted start later on. Don't ask me why but it can happen and it's a sod if it does.

That is excellent, thanks very much.

I did not realise that there were 2 choke settings, I thought out pull it up and release and that's the choke on.

Could you just check,

So half choke out up and release, what is then the full choke setting?.

The book says for cold start out and up, when first fires move choke lever down to set the throttle. It always starts then first or second pull. For hot start is says raise to choke position then immediately lower to set throttle before pulling it over, then away it should go. Have I understood that correctly?.

Have usually run it out of fuel, cuts for about 20 mins on a tank when ringing, may need to make a mental note not to allow that to happen.

Interesting that the starting instructions from the dealer were nothing like that though,

Thanks

A