Stihl ms261

wood cutter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot spud, great to know what exactly is going on, will look into getting one. Should the damage to the needle bearing be easy to visually see? Just remember having a quick check and nothing caught my eye.

Like a lot of you I too think it's a great saw...just a very frustrating one at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks a lot spud, great to know what exactly is going on, will look into getting one. Should the damage to the needle bearing be easy to visually see? Just remember having a quick check and nothing caught my eye.

Like a lot of you I too think it's a great saw...just a very frustrating one at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You can only see the damage if a needle is missing. You generally feel too much play on the clutch drum and change the bearing when it happens.

Our 261 C-M (auto tune) has been nothing but trouble since we got it about a year ago. It has been back four times to fix the problem with it not idling. It is intermittent and only seems to happen when you take it to work and use it properly (rather than "testing" it in a workshop). Last time it got so bad it wouldn't start at all sometimes after it turned itself off. Dealer sent it back to Stihl this time and we've been without it for 7 weeks so far! We literally might as well not have had a second saw for the last year.

Until about 3 years ago we were confirmed Stihl men but we have had so many problems recently. Had three pistons seize (660, 261, 660), all problems with new 261 and recently had a new Stihl fuel filter disintegrate/dissolve and then block carb filter on a 200T. Also had a 201T for a couple of months about a year and a half ago and got rid of it because it was so gutless.

Stihl are doing a fine job of ruining their reputation.

Our 261 C-M (auto tune) has been nothing but trouble since we got it about a year ago. It has been back four times to fix the problem with it not idling. It is intermittent and only seems to happen when you take it to work and use it properly (rather than "testing" it in a workshop). Last time it got so bad it wouldn't start at all sometimes after it turned itself off. Dealer sent it back to Stihl this time and we've been without it for 7 weeks so far! We literally might as well not have had a second saw for the last year.

Until about 3 years ago we were confirmed Stihl men but we have had so many problems recently. Had three pistons seize (660, 261, 660), all problems with new 261 and recently had a new Stihl fuel filter disintegrate/dissolve and then block carb filter on a 200T. Also had a 201T for a couple of months about a year and a half ago and got rid of it because it was so gutless.

Stihl are doing a fine job of ruining their reputation.

The saw not idling - try making the coil to flywheel gap smaller, had twom"non runners"that leaped in to life after a quick tweak:thumbup: