A jist bought me a sawmill off Donedeal!

difflock

The band is driven by a 30 HP Motor, (3630 =36"/30HP) and the stand-alone hydraulic powerpack by a 10 HP.

Both Euro spec "soft-start", whatever that means

So 40 HP all up.

On the one hand I swithered about running an engine to drive a generator to drive a motor to drive the band.

When some use an engine to drive the band direct.

However a diesel Genny (with power transmission losses) is still probably cheaper to run than a 25-35HP Petrol engine.

And I have a bulk tank of red for the tractors anyway, so will simply plumb the genny direct off the existing tank.

Ideally, I imagine, a larger Ex standby "open" gen-set, to be housed in a shed.

A sexy big pot 6 cyl 1970's or 1980's vintage.

And I can then leastwise look at powering other stuff off the 3 ph.

Edited by difflock

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 30 hp direct on line would need a 97 kva to start it. Your motors are soft start but you also need to start the 10 hp and may want a dust extractor in the future so you are probably back up to 100 kva.

I would look for a mid 90's silent perkins powered fg wilson. The old 70's stuff scoffs the diesel. the 90,s stuff good on fuel without getting too electronic.

Am proper disappointed Steve:lol:

Cos I were just ogling a RR Genset an also a sexy big Dorman engined English Electric, never mind the AEC engined Autodiesel (perfect at 96kva too)

This lust based on intimately admiring a 1950's build, ex chicken house standby duty, air-start McLaren Generator at the GDSF.

Nothing was scrimped in that build spec.

But seriously thanks for the sage advice.:thumbup:

Marcus

I presume the attraction of a high hours/Ex hire FG Wilson's type genny, as opposed to an older low hours open stand-by set.

Is that the FG Wilson's is "plug an play"(plus ready availability of engine service parts)

Whereas the older stuff will require wiring/re-wiring or a new control panel.

Not quite so concerned about diesel consumption, since prob not be running high hours.

m

Imo the old Dormans were awful and rolls not much better. The parts are now getting difficult and expensive. A 40 year old 125kva c6 rolls will scoff £15 an hour in diesel. A mid nineties perkins phaser £6

We find 40yr old standby sets are a night mare we give £500 and allow £1000 for hiab and transport. Send them to auction they make £1500 - £3000

If you service an old set and put it to work within a year the avr, windings, crg alt, water pump, piston liners and radiator will have failed.

You want a 10-15 year old silent set with 200 hrs on the clock.

Up to 15,000 hrs is ok if its been looked after. We often see sets with a new main Alternator after 7000 hrs. we used to get 40,000 hrs out of some of our 3152 and 6354 but skip a few oil changes and leave it running on light load and they were stuffed at 15,000 hrs

The band is driven by a 30 HP Motor, (3630 =36"/30HP) and the stand-alone hydraulic powerpack by a 10 HP.

Both Euro spec "soft-start", whatever that means

So 40 HP all up.

On the one hand I swithered about running an engine to drive a generator to drive a motor to drive the band.

When some use an engine to drive the band direct.

However a diesel Genny (with power transmission losses) is still probably cheaper to run than a 25-35HP Petrol engine.

And I have a bulk tank of red for the tractors anyway, so will simply plumb the genny direct off the existing tank.

Ideally, I imagine, a larger Ex standby "open" gen-set, to be housed in a shed.

A sexy big pot 6 cyl 1970's or 1980's vintage.

And I can then leastwise look at powering other stuff off the 3 ph.

Hi,

sawmill looks amazing.

I know a fellow who had a 3ph genny running off a 4 pot kubota engine, not sure what the output was, he had it until he got mains to his (yes cumbria is a little behind the times!!!) he is connected up so it was for sale.

do you want me to ask him if he still has it, cost and output?

Imo the old Dormans were awful and rolls not much better. The parts are now getting difficult and expensive. A 40 year old 125kva c6 rolls will scoff £15 an hour in diesel. A mid nineties perkins phaser £6

We find 40yr old standby sets are a night mare we give £500 and allow £1000 for hiab and transport. Send them to auction they make £1500 - £3000

If you service an old set and put it to work within a year the avr, windings, crg alt, water pump, piston liners and radiator will have failed.

You want a 10-15 year old silent set with 200 hrs on the clock.

Up to 15,000 hrs is ok if its been looked after. We often see sets with a new main Alternator after 7000 hrs. we used to get 40,000 hrs out of some of our 3152 and 6354 but skip a few oil changes and leave it running on light load and they were stuffed at 15,000 hrs

I was looking at 2000-2500 Hrs (ish)

Am going to speak to a local man, tomorrow, who works to MacGen up in Kilrea, rather cross his palm with Silver than buy from afar.

Farmer John

I dont think a 4 pot Kubota ud have the horsepower I need, to drive a nominal 100kvA set.

regards

marcus

Edited by difflock

I normally work 250 hrs is 6000 miles if that makes sense. You dont see many standby sets with 2000 hrs on the clock they normally run 30 mins a year may be a couple of hrs in bad weather. After 15 years they still look like new save a bit of corrosion on the canopy. Once a set has run 2000 hrs its difficult to work out what its really done. Hr clocks are £10

OK

Makes sense, i reckon 30mph is ave speed door to door for a car (based on 250 thou on the Galaxy when we were still running to the Continent on hols)

I thought perhaps you were referring to ex hire gensets, I did not realize stand-by sets were changed at such low hours AND low years.

Will re-focus my search.

Anyway not rushing, rather get the Mill set up before I locate the genny.

Hmmm?, with a canopied/enclosed/silent genset, I could rig the whole shebang on a tractor drawn trailer chassis, and still be mobile.:thumbup::lol:

cheers

m