working on a SSSI site ?

d-raittuk

hi all few questions if you may.

I have been asked to give a price though a contact i do alot of work for on a sssi site mostly pruning crown lifting etc but there looks like there may be the odd bit of felling/ dismantling but i have not been to see the job yet so not sure on that.

although iam confident that they want to use my services.

i havent worked on a site like this before so is there anything apart from the obvious i need to be aware of and learning points from folks who have done this kind of work before.

would be great to hear everyones experiences.

Thanks in advance

hi all few questions if you may.

I have been asked to give a price though a contact i do alot of work for on a sssi site mostly pruning crown lifting etc but there looks like there may be the odd bit of felling/ dismantling but i have not been to see the job yet so not sure on that.

although iam confident that they want to use my services.

i havent worked on a site like this before so is there anything apart from the obvious i need to be aware of and learning points from folks who have done this kind of work before.

would be great to hear everyones experiences.

Thanks in advance

Quick thoughts:

Natural England are the 'statutory authority', in effect, for SSSIs so familiarise yourself with them see Natural England - SSSIs : Introduction the Local Authority may also have an interest.

Find out why the area you are working is designated and make sure you take account of this is your method of work. REMEMBER there are many plant species, and rare fungi etc., which are legally protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Consider minimising your impact, both practically (soft-felling / dismantle as opposed to straight felling) and environmentally (bio-fuels etc. and maybe electric chainsaws???)

Don't forget about biohazards to with various diseases, phytophthora etc., and disinfect tools.

Sorry, off to meeting now I'm sure others will add more.

Good luck n hope it's lovely environs to work in :thumbup1:

Cheers..

Paul

Quick

Find out why the area you are working is designated and make sure you take account of this is your method of work. REMEMBER there are many plant species, and rare fungi etc., which are legally protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Cheers..

Paul

Wildlife and countryside act is long gone, its CROW (2000 ish) now.

Sorry to be a pedant.

Part of the job discription for the proposed works will list what is important, and dont be afraid to ask if you can not ID it. There will be a long list of mitigating measures to be put in place whilst the work is carried out.

i am happy with the Natural England stuff spill kits bio oil in the saws soft fell rigging down the trees to minimize impact blah blah but i mean the kind of stuff thats not nessersrly covered the stuff thats been learned by the blokes on the ground maybe stuff you would or wouldn't do again given the chance :)

Sorry to be a pedant.

Part of the job discription for the proposed works will list what is important, and dont be afraid to ask if you can not ID it. There will be a long list of mitigating measures to be put in place whilst the work is carried out.

to start with i want an ecologist , arb consultant an hopefully the tpo officer all to meet on site. iam pretty sure that if i start the job the ID will be coming in thick and fast for you guys

Sorry to be a pedant.

Hi-de-hi, hope you're well.

Good point here about the CROW Act 2000 which is also very relevant. However I think the WCA 81 is still current / relevant and that it is the act that contains the licensing and prosecution powers.

I don't think the CROW Act has superseded the WCA but supplements it covering other aspects and has maybe updated some of the associated schedules of wildlife etc. species.

As always I stand to be corrected here, not least as it's not H&S related :001_huh:

Cheers..:thumbup1:

Paul

Yes you are right, the principal legislation is still the WCA 81 (as amended) which offers a wide range of protection to species.

This should be considered with CROW 2000 which filled some legislation holes regarding habitats/handling/disturbance etc.

And... of course not forgetting The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 which is the European basis (also effective here) for a lot of more modern legislation - particularly referring to principle species and habitat types eg forests, wetlands etc, and identifying a range of European Protected Species (EPS)

So,... it seems like a lot to consider, but if you just find out why the SSSI was enacted, identify the relevant species/habitats and consider the protection afforded by the relevant legislations then you will be fine!