Compact Tractor Backhoe

Commando

I've yet to meet a digger pilot skilled enough to change the laws of physics....

There is alot of difference between a billiard table and the laws of physics. We have been working on clearing a 25 degree slope using a 1.5 and 3 ton mini with no major issues.

The biggest problem is getting the grip on the tracks to drive uphill. usually have to push yourself up with the bucket.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone disputes the idea that a good operator can do more with a given set of physical parameters - CoG, track width, gradient, traction - than a poor one.

Like Archimedes with his lever and fulcrum, give a micro 360 enough time and it can do pretty much any digging job you point it at.

Doesn't necessarily make it the best tool for the OP's job.

I'd sooner have a 360 with tracks, blade and the ability to steady yourself with the boom than an alpine and backhoe on a hill. Can't be much in it with centre of gravity either.

Tractor backhoes are clumsy and expensive compared to a second hand digger. A 3 ton mini will outperform any backhoe you would fit to an alpine. Poor value for money, in essence. Having to jump on and off to move must be a right PITA also.

The one I posted would be a good value way to try it. If I had only the tractor and no mini digger I'd be tempted at that money. But buying a new backhoe? Not a chance, second machine every time.

I think you have a few ideas floating about at the moment and possibly arent looking in the right direction yet.

If you are looking at an alpine then presumably you need it for slope work?

In which case mounting a loader and a backhoe is going to seriously compromise its stability.

But then a kubota wont work particularly well on slopes even without a loader and backhoe.

What are your actual requirements?

Hi Jim i already have an AGT850 from you. All of my land is pretty steep and the alpine is the way to go. However I am after a loader and as pointed out, fitting one to an alpine probably isn't the best route to go down. I also have a fair bit of digger work to do, drainage, ditching etc. So i'm looking at options. Initial thoughts were to purchase a used backhoe for the alpine and get a separate cheap loader tractor. Or perhaps look at something like a mid sized Kubota with loader and backhoe (expensive!). I hadn't thought of going down the 360 route but am now wondering if it could do everything I need on the loader side too ie loading dung, grading, moving stone/soil etc.

Doobin, Difflock, you are swaying me towards the 360!! What sort of money would a reliable machine cost me, recommendations? As a matter of interest, what sort of weight will a1.5/3 tonne 'swinger' lift? Any advice appreciated. Many Thanks Craig

Hi Craig,

sorry, I hadnt realised it was you.

Definately go with the 3 ton mini digger. It will do all the work a loader will do on an alpine (they arent particularly capable and also compromise the inherant sability of the alpine) and far outdig a backhoe on an alpine.

It will also outdig the backhoe on a kubota. It might not replace a loader on the kubota, but you could get by with the digger.

I have a 3 ton digger, it will lift a bag of ballast (just) close in, 800-1000kg. My little kubota digger cost £4k, but really say something tidy and reliable say £6-10k?

Well, this is a bit odd.

I get that a digger, being a dedicated machine designed for digging, is - other thing being equal - a better tool for digging than a compromise like a tractor backhoe. But how is it also a better machine for loading than a loader? Tracking any distance a bucket at a time is painfully slow.

Well, this is a bit odd.

I get that a digger, being a dedicated machine designed for digging, is - other thing being equal - a better tool for digging than a compromise like a tractor backhoe. But how is it also a better machine for loading than a loader? Tracking any distance a bucket at a time is painfully slow.

Fair point Richard but im trying to tick many boxes with one machine, I think whats been suggested is that a 360 can achieve most of what I want and certainly more than a loader alone. Agreed it would be painful tracking by the bucket but I already have an alpine and trailer (soon) so can use the 360 to load the trailer. The alpine really doesn't suit a loader so I'd end up with another tractor and still not have the digging facility. Also been suggested that the 360 will be more stable. Craig

Well, loading per se, should be an "on the spot" activity.

As for moving spoil, you could consider a small dump trailer, for behind your Alpine.

Though a hired in site dumper will"eat" any tractor trailer combo.

The brother could not understand why I hired in 2 or 3 (was it perhaps) 10 tonne site dumpers to build the Avenue in to this house.

They kept 2 No. 13 tonne 360 diggers flat out busy, stripping topsoil , filling and placing hardcore.

marcus

ps

A combo that works very well in work is an 80hp case tractor with a loader on, towing a 2.5 tonne digger.

get to the site, the digger fills the big front bucket on the tractor, with the back of a sheaugh bucket generally.

tractor then ferries an absolutly full bucket of spoil/rubbish whatever to the "hard" or a waiting lorry.

Works a dream for lifting bonfires.

but being replaced by a 3500kg digger on a 7500kg beavertail, supplemented by a plant trailer transported 640 Avant.

cheers

m

Hi Craig,

sorry, I hadnt realised it was you.

Definately go with the 3 ton mini digger. It will do all the work a loader will do on an alpine (they arent particularly capable and also compromise the inherant sability of the alpine) and far outdig a backhoe on an alpine.

It will also outdig the backhoe on a kubota. It might not replace a loader on the kubota, but you could get by with the digger.

I have a 3 ton digger, it will lift a bag of ballast (just) close in, 800-1000kg. My little kubota digger cost £4k, but really say something tidy and reliable say £6-10k?

I'd say nearer the 10k mark. Well worth it though as they hold their value.

If you get a 3 tonner get a set of pallet forks for it, about £300. If you have heavy stuff to lift, then consider a linkage mounted forklift for the alpine- that's a cheap way of shifting stuff.