Our christmas hols

Steve Bullman

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my whole family staying at the moment and it still freaks my old man out, as to how heavily armed I am!

Your father sounds like a sensible man. I'm glad Britain has some of the tightest gun controls in the world.

The only way a society can become more civilised is by stopping public ownership of guns.

Its one part of American culture that I dont like. But its a very different place from Britain. They have their reasons for believing private gun ownership is a good idea. But Britain has a proud legacy of liberalism and common decency amongst its population. And this is probably why your father can't understand your need for being 'heavily armed'.

I am aware that more criminals are using guns these days in the UK, and for that reason I believe it would probably be a good idea to arm the police.

Allowing the British public to own guns like they do in the US is a step backwards in my opinion.

Steve, glad you and the family had a good holiday.

Your father sounds like a sensible man. I'm glad Britain has some of the tightest gun controls in the world.

The only way a society can become more civilised is by stopping public ownership of guns.

Its one part of American culture that I dont like. But its a very different place from Britain. They have their reasons for believing private gun ownership is a good idea. But Britain has a proud legacy of liberalism and common decency amongst its population. And this is probably why your father can't understand your need for being 'heavily armed'.

I am aware that more criminals are using guns these days in the UK, and for that reason I believe it would probably be a good idea to arm the police.

Allowing the British public to own guns like they do in the US is a step backwards in my opinion.

Steve, glad you and the family had a good holiday.

I was told,by someone in the know, that one of the main reasons illegal immigrants come to the UK,rather than the rest of Europe,is the fact that our police are not armed.

looks like you had a good holiday Steve, i have family over in California, and hope to out some time soon.

A registration system gun law - the Firearms Act - was first introduced to Great Britain in 1920, spurred on partly due to fears of a surge in crime that might have resulted from the large number of guns available following World War I and in part due to fears of working class unrest in this period

Cant have the plebs arming themselves, can we!?

This overturned the right to keep and bear arms that had originated in England during the reign of Henry II with the 1181 Assize of Arms, and developed as part of Common Law.

It comes back to the fact that the UK is a nanny fascist state, where the government decides whats best for you.

I am all in favour of extremely strict gun controls, but not the outright banning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Its one part of American culture that I dont like. But its a very different place from Britain. They have their reasons for believing private gun ownership is a good idea. But Britain has a proud legacy of liberalism and common decency amongst its population.

IQUOTE]

Agree with most of you sentiments Tockmal, but I think the "proud legacy of liberalism and common decency amongst its population" is a thing of the past. You only have to look at the blatant killing of teenagers around this country in the last year or so. The old saying about leaving your back door unlocked is a thing of the past. It has become now that you cannot legally protect yourself, your family, and your possessions from the criminal fraternity. They are prepared to carry weapons to carry out their crime, we have to sit in behind closed doors hoping they dont call. Maybe it is time for a radical change in the laws of the land so we can protect ourselves. Another point is that this country has become so multi-cultural since the last war, that the old British morals have been lost.

Its one part of American culture that I dont like. But its a very different place from Britain. They have their reasons for believing private gun ownership is a good idea. But Britain has a proud legacy of liberalism and common decency amongst its population.

IQUOTE]

Agree with most of you sentiments Tockmal, but I think the "proud legacy of liberalism and common decency amongst its population" is a thing of the past. You only have to look at the blatant killing of teenagers around this country in the last year or so. The old saying about leaving your back door unlocked is a thing of the past. It has become now that you cannot legally protect yourself, your family, and your possessions from the criminal fraternity. They are prepared to carry weapons to carry out their crime, we have to sit in behind closed doors hoping they dont call. Maybe it is time for a radical change in the laws of the land so we can protect ourselves. Another point is that this country has become so multi-cultural since the last war, that the old British morals have been lost.

Very sad,but true.

Really? whatever gave you that idea? :D

Your cartoon of the British guy implies that it is only criminals who will be left with guns.

I thought you would have the intelligence to realise that throughout the entire history of humankind criminals have always had the upper hand. So your initial cartoon is irrelevant.

Like I said before, maybe it is time to arm the police.