Apprentice troubles

Andymacp

I was/am a big believer in giving a young lad a chance, But I've just had my second one go!

First one about a year ago I had to sack cause he turned up stoned one day and jumped in the pickup whilst I was up the tree and crashed it into the clients hedge then fence. He didn't have a driving licence.

Second one has been on board now 5 months. He was really coming along nicely, quick learner and keen as mustard.

However I gets a text last night saying he can't afford the wages and he's got another job and won't be in Monday. He said he loved the job and really enjoyed working with us.

I offered more money but turned down.

It takes a lot of extra time and effort to train these lads, he'd never held a saw before and I had him climb and take a branch down last week.

Now I'm not sure if I've got the energy to train another lad.

Other option is up the prices and use subcontractors.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont know about other guys but i started with the company i am currently working for about 5 months ago and i love my job, i did a couple of my tickets before i started but the experience i have gained since then is worth a whole lot more to me. It sucks that you guys are having problems with walkers/general fools but the next genertation is definately coming through

i guess its down to your luck, i started as a trainee, and was very lucky to be given a lot of time, attention ,training, tickets etc and on the flipside have now been working in the same company for 8 yrs, but at the end of the day you need to find what works for you and your business.

As a fairly young man and a former apprentice i do realise and appreciate the time, effort and of course financial input that employers and senior members of staff put in. To be honest i am embarressed by my generation as they have no long term thought. Grass is always greener and all that. However i am sure you will find an apprentice that will restore your faith in the next generation. After all we will be paying your pensions.

Your definately NOT alone!!!! Finding the next generation of workers seems immpossible it seems!!

+1 had two both pretty much useless and gone now, neither really wanting to work, but wanted the money but no end goal, effort put in or enthusiasm.... it seems very common, and quite sad....

My guys are good .....mostly... and the advantage of training your own guys is that you can teach them to do it the way you want it done. The issue is that they will probably bog off once fully up to speed and finally really useful.

If my guys do bog off I think I'll look for trained guys (or gals).

You might want employees to work as hard and care as much as you do, but unfortunately I think that is very unlikely..

Edited by benedmonds