Big Tractor mounted clippers

I'm looking into purchasing a tractor mounted chipper to go on a 130hp case tractor, mainly to offer a 'For Hire' service in and around Somerset.

Firstly what do you recommend I go for and also, would anybody be interested in hiring it?

The tractor has a front loader and a grab which can move and clear a lot of brash very quick.

If the chipper could chip to biomass grades would that be an advantage?

Front loader and grab wont really work for loading the brash into the chipper you really need a crane. As you have all the brash now in a pile at the front of the tractor but the chipper attached to the rear.

You could mount a crane on the chipper but that gets heavy. Say 1.5t for a 12" chipper then another 500-700kg for for a crane. Well with in the say 5t of the link lift capacity but you'll feel it back there. Some of the biomass ones are trailed which will make it easier to carry but i would of thought harder to mount the crane.

How big is big? 12" or 30" or somewhere in between.

I'm looking into purchasing a tractor mounted chipper to go on a 130hp case tractor, mainly to offer a 'For Hire' service in and around Somerset.

Firstly what do you recommend I go for and also, would anybody be interested in hiring it?

The tractor has a front loader and a grab which can move and clear a lot of brash very quick.

If the chipper could chip to biomass grades would that be an advantage?

I'm off to do my first clipping of the year tomorrow but I reckon you're going to have a riot with the animal welfare crowd if you'll be clipping with a chipper:confused1::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Front loader and grab wont really work for loading the brash into the chipper you really need a crane. As you have all the brash now in a pile at the front of the tractor but the chipper attached to the rear.

You could mount a crane on the chipper but that gets heavy. Say 1.5t for a 12" chipper then another 500-700kg for for a crane. Well with in the say 5t of the link lift capacity but you'll feel it back there. Some of the biomass ones are trailed which will make it easier to carry but i would of thought harder to mount the crane.

How big is big? 12" or 30" or somewhere in between.

The loader is really just to get everything in one place ready for chipping, as you rightly say it wouldn't work in terms of feeding the chipper.

The size I go for is ultimately determined by demand, I am guessing that larger chippers as in 15" + would have a larger demand as most tree surgeons would have a small chipper?

problem with taking a tractor and chipper to a domestic job is making it all fit. Tractor+chipper and being able to maneuver the chip truck into place is a pain on all but the largest of drives.

The advantage of say a 12" chipper is that you don't have to dress anything if it's 12" across the chipper will deal with it. Downside is that you fill the chip waggon up quick and its very hard to man handle the bits in. You do loose a lot of firewood in the process though.

Clearance is a different matter though you really need a crane imo to make bigger chippers worth while.