Cobra tree brace

Arborowen

I sense that this is upsetting you Jomoco. Cable and cobra are very different systems from what I can see and cobra is not a replacement for sewing up a tree with steel. But I'm my world when a tree is that messed up in an area that it's likely to pose a hazard its time to say by by.

It is a wonder my client is paying for any kind of Bracing to tbh. The economy here and the way people value trees usually means the cheapest option is selected. I can see your point regarding the potential threat of nibblers and it may well be something to consider in the future, however for this site & the this particular tree It's just not a big deal.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm truly baffled by the way so many of you advocate using dangerously inferior synthetic cabling systems on your clients trees.

It's almost as if you don't believe tree squirrels and rats have been documented chewing through synthetic materials all around the world or something!

Rats, Racoons and Squirrels in Lower Mainland Attics | Blog | AAA Wildlife Control

Tree squirrels? In my client's tree? Nesting material close at hand?

This new synthetic cabling fad's going to bite each one of you that use it in the wallet eventually.

Deservedly IMO.

What happened to good old fashioned common sense in this industry?

Go ahead guys! Screw your paying clients and their trees over big time!

Jomoco

Interesting views, so steel doesn't rust, bolts don't loosen, wires don't pull through????

I cannot recall seeing or hearing of a failed cobra or similar system in the last 10years in the uk or Scandinavia, yet have seen failed, broken static systems at least every 6months.....

Common sence to me would suggest that either system fitted in a tree you obviously have concerns over structural integerity should be inspected on a regular basis

And yeah, if a client wants to invest in the life, safety ond health of there tree they're gonna have to pay for it

I've seen a few cobras fail , not ones I've installed I will add!!

Metal cable I have witnessed failures have all been in oak and chestnut which bracing with metal there's a pretty good chance it will fail as the tannin in the tree eats the metal.

Beech is a perfect tree to install invasive bracing too as long as the cables the right grade for the job.

It's also worth noting on older trees invasive bracing is a pretty bad idea Imo as it is not capable of compartmentalising wounds sufficiently with age ,I have seen bracing on mature and veteran trees pull due to this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's also worth noting on older trees invasive bracing is a pretty bad idea Imo as it is not capable of compartmentalising wounds sufficiently with age ,I have seen bracing on mature and veteran trees pull due to this as well.

Oh I don't know

steel encased in reaction wood in old trees probably makes them bomb proof :biggrin:

IMG_2264.jpg.eb939cd0c49598a02cf032bf2d17e038.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg.a5422a73507581909d9a0ee40826ef89.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg.2c2e294b1ecb1768f5e3cf7c70ce0131.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg.9aa7de98c953028269ac9ff2b9c7fb6d.jpg

That plane looks very healthy!!

My reply was more in regards to old trees in decline,if I ever go back to north herts I will try and get some pics of some veteran pollard oaks that have had cable issues if they are still standing!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The encasement in reaction wood can indeed be reinforcing!

Cables installed with lag bolts located too low can indeed pull out. that is why through-cabling, and higher placement, is preferred.

Tannin eats metal? Is there a reference for this--I have not seen it in 100's of cabled oaks.

For structurally challenged trees that are pruned instead of cabled, you obviously have concerns over structural integrity, so they should be inspected on a regular basis. As with cables, this inspection period could be 5 years or more.

Oh I've no doubt you synthetic cabling enthusiasts can find ways to rationalize the absurd notion that fire's not a natural aspect of a tree's environment.

Being dead wrong doesn't seem to faze you guys in the least!

That a judge or jury in a court of law is highly unlikely to buy your absurd logic is something that should worry each one of you.

But your honor, fire's not a natural component of a tree's environment!

Jomoco:biggrin:

Fire is not part of the natural environment to a tree in the UK, it would be quite out of the ordinary. ( this is a predominately UK based forum, the OP based in the UK too)

No one is dead wrong, a true professional would be able to see the benefits and pitfalls of both styles of bracing, not just be blinkered into using one style only.

So abrasion due to falling limbs across your synthetic cables, vulnerability to arboreal chewing rodents, vulnerability to UV degradation and fire, all of which galvanized steel can withstand far longer by a huge factor, doesn't faze you guys at all eh?

I feel sorry for your clients that buy into your snake oil sales pitches.

Jomoco