Chainsaw carving demonstration - I need info

Hi All,

I've been asked if i would be interested in giving a carving demonstration at a Summer Show In Cork, Ireland. It's pretty close to where I live and it's something i'd love to do !

I've never given demonstrations before and I have a few questions

what kind of insurance would i need and where would i get it ?

What could I charge ? They are suggesting a barter for a trade stall (there stalls range 200 to 800 euro - about 150-600 pounds) but to be honest i'd rather have the money.

What would they need to provide ? Enclosure ?

Who supplies the wood ? I'm assuming it would be me ?

How long should it last ?

Who gets the finished piece ? I was thinking of suggesting they raffle it ?

That's all i can think of at the moment but if there is anything else please tell me.

Thanks in anticipation, will

for insurance i use craftinsurance.co.uk. not too expensive

you need to demonstrate competence which, in the uk, means a certificate of some kind. basic chainsaw use and maintenance

risk assessment etc... i can PM you a sheet for that

i have only done a couple of public demonstrations that were nto competitions and they supplied teh barrier stuff

If they can supply the wood then its easier for you :)

I would suggest they pay you and they keep the piece and raffle it

if you have plenty of stock you could have a stall in stead of a fee but it depends on what you have to sell at the time

Depends on the type of event it its.

if the event is been run by a company and i am one of the attractions bringing people to the event then i charge £250 for attending. if its a community type fundraiser then i dont charge. either way i take a log to work on and have carvings to sell aswell. i supply everything i need including enclosure. and make sure you take all your mess away with you.

i have never and would never pay to attend an event.

the carving you do on the day if you can sell it then do so or if its a community fund raiser you could donate it or another carving as a raffle prize. and as dave said craft insurance are about the best price wise but you will need a latra certificate of saw competancy. if its a 6 hr event aim to carve some thing you could do in 3 hrs as you will spend alot of time having to speak to people.

Edited by splinters

Hi the same as the other guys I W Wallace (craft insurance 01202 919359) about £7 a month I never pay to go to a show and at most i have stock for sale I tend to do carvings that are quite stright forward as people like to see it finnished and there are always a load of people wanting to chat I use an old tarp for a ground sheet it is easier to sweep than rake the mess up after .Good Luck with your show

Cheers Mark