Base anchors

DrewB

You sound like me Jake. Our brains are still ddrt geared.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well I've been climbing srt for 2 years but not all the time. Only when the tree presents itself to srt climbing. I think that's why I struggle to see laterally, I've never dived in the deep end and tried it on what I would class as a ddrt tree. I need more time on it without throwing a paddy:blushing:

J:thumbup1:

When you say static redirect do you mean a tied top anchor? If that makes sense. I reckon I need to think more outside the box when climbing srt like you mentioned Dan. Can't help but think the highest tip is the best.

Another question, how many redirects do you carry on ur harness?

Sorry if I've derailed the thread.

Yeah, you can leave the base anchor attached but top anchor in higher without worrying about extra forces created by the base anchor. I usually carry 2x anchor rings, 2x revolvers, 1x 30cm sling and krab. I rarely use more than two redirects at a time and with those peices I can have 2/3 static redirects and/or 2 static and one dynamic.

In the picture, to get on the tips of the lowest branch, DdRT you'd ideally need to be in the dark blue anchor point. Srt, you could be on any of them, and use redirects in the branches to give yourself a more secure work position.

If you imagine there's 6m between the dark blue and light blue anchors, and you've thrown the light blue on a base anchor. You could get up to it, lanyard into the next limb, climb up, set a dynamic redirect, swap over to your lanyard again, put in a static redi, work the top of the tree, then as you come back down take the dynamic redirect off to use later and go about your buisiness from a static, single loaded top TIP, with base anchor backup. You can still come out the tree on the base anchor once you've taken the top part off and retreive your rope easily.

Does that make sense? I know it seems complicated and a bit of hassle but in practice it's only a minute or two's work.

redir.JPG.cf2a12bf679de251789a1340130cc8f9.JPG

Yeah, you can leave the base anchor attached but top anchor in higher without worrying about extra forces created by the base anchor. I usually carry 2x anchor rings, 2x revolvers, 1x 30cm sling and krab. I rarely use more than two redirects at a time and with those peices I can have 2/3 static redirects and/or 2 static and one dynamic.

In the picture, to get on the tips of the lowest branch, DdRT you'd ideally need to be in the dark blue anchor point. Srt, you could be on any of them, and use redirects in the branches to give yourself a more secure work position.

If you imagine there's 6m between the dark blue and light blue anchors, and you've thrown the light blue on a base anchor. You could get up to it, lanyard into the next limb, climb up, set a dynamic redirect, swap over to your lanyard again, put in a static redi, work the top of the tree, then as you come back down take the dynamic redirect off to use later and go about your buisiness from a static, single loaded top TIP, with base anchor backup. You can still come out the tree on the base anchor once you've taken the top part off and retreive your rope easily.

Does that make sense? I know it seems complicated and a bit of hassle but in practice it's only a minute or two's work.

That's awesome Dan, thanks heaps for taking the time and effort to explain. I'll be on it and giving it a proper go. 6 weeks solid srt and I'll teach myself and find easier better ways of moving around the tree.

Just need to get my head around removals srt then I'll be golden.

Thanks again.

That's awesome Dan, thanks heaps for taking the time and effort to explain. I'll be on it and giving it a proper go. 6 weeks solid srt and I'll teach myself and find easier better ways of moving around the tree.

Just need to get my head around removals srt then I'll be golden.

Thanks again.

No worries.

I get it.

Sort of.

Masterclass at C&C?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I don't know about masterclass but I can show you a thing or two :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Arbtalk mobile app

If you run out of slings and rings and biners etc you can make a static redirect by taking a bight of your climbing line and just using that to anchor to a branch... clove hitch, cow hitch, midline bowline.. whatever..

Add on.. sometimes If I'm only going up to do a few bits above the base anchor, I just leave it how it is and climb above it on both ends of my long side strop..

Edited by BenR

If you run out of slings and rings and biners etc you can make a static redirect by taking a bight of your climbing line and just using that to anchor to a branch... clove hitch, cow hitch, midline bowline.. whatever..

That's what I do all the time now. I usually just use a clove hitch and it saves carrying slings & biners all the time.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!