Reasons why you love working for yourself

simonm

Sounds bliss.

Either you are fibbing lol or you are the lucky ones who got the balance right. I've heard so many stories of people working all hours and burning themselves out

It's not all beer and skittles but it does pay the bills, well most of the time anyway. Most of the work is local, Two to Fifteen minutes driving time and nearly all of it comes by word of mouth. It wasn't always this good as it took a few of years doing everything that showed up including hedges but it it seems to have leveled out lately but I'm still looking over my shoulder in case it all turns to custard.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god all you lads must have tons of work, tons of money and no bills or hassle!! I,m 23 years in the game and sick as a chip!! No work no money and hp payments coming out of my ears!! Thinking of working in mcdonalds!!

I think the first 2 are over-exaggerated and the latter 2 are under-exaggerated.

There is always work around, even in depressed times, it just depends how smart one is in securing it.

Tons of money; hmmm. some of us on here have enough to buy kit when we need it or invest in training. Others go on lots of holidays and have big houses and bigger cars, (not that many I suspect). Others have very little and struggle.

We all have bills. Our motoring expenses were £54k last year.

Hassle is a state of mind. We all get it. It's how it's dealt with. Look at 'problems' as challenges to be resolved. Change your vocabulary. Listen to yourself if you find you start moaning.

A person has to put good into their life to get good out. A person has to change what they're doing if they want things to change.

"If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got."

-- W. L. Bateman

Read more: If you keep on doing what you've always done, you'll keep on getting what you've always got. by W. L. Bateman

http://wildfitness.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/if-you-want-something.jpg

I enjoy it for a different reason, these days. Due to a few little health issues, I don't have the stamina for long hard days any more. I'd go as far as to say I'm probably unemployable in this job these days. But I can pick and choose what work I take on, I have diversified to make the job suit my needs. Being self employed has given me freedom to work when I'm fit, and rest when I'm not. If things aren't right in the morning, I wait until they are right, if I don't start til ten then so be it, likewise if I finish at three, I don't have to explain myself to anyone.

I am fortunate, I had a good client base already established before my illness, so I only had to make slight changes to continue.

Yikes! what's afflicted you? Hope it's an age thing. Got a friend in the same game and similar age, late 50's, I team up with sometimes who cuts out mid afternoon because, as he points out, he's not twenty any more. This goes some way to explaining the odd afternoon nap I find myself having lately. Early nights do not work. A big breakfast only lasts till I'm hungry again and the same applies to other energy pick up of sleep. catch it when you can whether it's in the cab of the truck or in the sun in a clients garden, grab it anyway. It will make you sharper and faster the rest of the time.

I had major surgery, resulting in the removal of my bowel, I'm lucky to be able to do some of what I used to, so I'm grateful. And it's not age related though I'm 50 this year, one lad was 18 having the same op when I was in. Hence why being self employed suits my needs these days.

Its the unpredictability as much as anything else that keeps it fresh and exciting,perhaps the phone doesn't ring for a few days,then you get home and theres 5 messages on the answerphone.

All the planning and preparation right up to the night before, that has to go on to get the jobs up and running and completed often gives a degree of satisfaction and worth.

To be out there,often at a different place each day ensuring all is going smoothly and safely,as i tell my youngsters,this is reality not some video game.

And finally to feel proud of building up and maintaining a business that you can call your own,while answerable to no man.

Edited by oldwoodcutter

I was an employee for 23 years and I now love the freedom.Different kind of worries though.It's not a bowl of cherries by any means.Pricing has been my biggest headache.

I try to have a 'can do' attitude but going and doing quotes and looking at jobs doesn't mean they are in the bag.Although I enjoy climbing and tree work,I do fencing,turfing,landscaping,roofing,patios,brickwork,site clearance.What comes along,gets done.

Mrs does the books.Working with other self employed people gives you an idea of how others operate.I've got a nice big gardening job,and there's a couple of decorators there too.They knock off about three.DIdn't get it at first as I turn up at 8-8.30 and do a full days work.These boys turn up at 06.45.Kick it into touch at3,miss all the traffic,get home,get the Barbie on and have the evening.Flexibility.That's what it's about.

Edited by raker

I have been employed/self employed over the yrs depending on my situation at the time. Will stay self employed now till the end (when I retire ok!) Love the challenges and the planning of the various jobs. Just started work on a new estate this week and this keeps arriving at 11 and 3 o'clock. Wheres that diet thread quick.

597668fa00e2d_AfternoonTea.jpg.522859cfbd0b62e66967b5808292a86d.jpg