Problem starting 372xp

Jackofsome

A compression test seems in order. Then a vacuum test to determine if overheating melted your crank seal on the clutch side.

I suspect that low compression's the culprit.

A 372xp is worth the repair cost at a reputable shop IMO.

Jomoco

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the spark is good - pull the plug out, put it back in the plug cap, earth it on the cylinder AWAY FROM THE PLUG HOLE and pull the saw over fast and look for a spark, if there is one, do it again but this time, bend the plug electrode out at 45 degree angle to make the gap real big and see if it still sparks. You will need to do this in subdued lighting.

If you get a poor or no spark, regap the coil to flywheel and try again.

If you have a spark, it is likely you have flooded the engine, pull the plug, turn the saw ignition off, turn it upside down and pull the saw over fast a few times and see how much fuel splatters/runs out of the plug hole. If no fuel comes out, the carb isn't loading the engine with fuel correctly - possibly a badly adjusted needle valve or lack of compression.

Heat the plug up with a plumbers lamp and put it back in the saw and try to start on the "fast idle, no choke" setting with no decomp and see if it goes.

If this doesn't work, try putting the choke on, push the choke back off and then open the throttle, the carb should click lightly as the "fast idle" comes off, if it doesn't work, the dfast idle latch on the carb needs looking at.

It sounds like you have looked at the piston through the exhaust port but if you havent, do it.

Compression should be 145-155psi, any less and it isn't good! Measure it with a Gunson Hi gauge if possible - it will give correct readings, some car gauges will not!

It is usual to check spark, compression and fuel in instances like this. Diagnosis isn't always that easy but these are the basic steps.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for you all.

I got my saw back from my man today and it is singing beautifully, it was an intermittent ignition coil apparently.

He fitted a secondhand one from a spares machine he had and it is going great, he charged me €40 in total for the job, personally I don't think I was robbed?

Thanks guys for all your help.

Just an update for you all.

I got my saw back from my man today and it is singing beautifully, it was an intermittent ignition coil apparently.

He fitted a secondhand one from a spares machine he had and it is going great, he charged me €40 in total for the job, personally I don't think I was robbed?

Thanks guys for all your help.

Sounds like a very fair price to me:thumbup: