Dealing With Learning Difficulties In Training...

DriveLink

For you to be dyslexic there MUST be a clear disparity between known intelligence vs. ability in reading, writing or both, there is NO such thing as “mild dyslexia” as that is just the new polite buzz words for being “below average” in one respect wile still being within the bands of being an “average” person.

e.g. if at 14 years old you have an IQ of 100 however your ability in e.g. writing only matches that of someone who has an IQ of 50 then there is clear disparity unlike someone who has an IQ of >75 in the same situation.

Taking the same 14 year old one would expect an average one to have a reading age equivalent to 14 year old, if that 14 year old has a reading age of 7 years old agene there is clear disparity indicating a problem rather than just being a little behind if they e.g. had a reading age of >10 years old.

I left school only able to write my name excluding my middle 2 names which I couldn’t spell & my address as long as I omitted the house name which agene I couldn’t spell, so really unless you post on forums with the aide of a well trained copy of e.g. MS Word to limit errata/duplicates/etc as well as to correct spelling, capitalisation etc or haven’t spent 20+ years after leaving school trying to learn how to as well as all the possible ways to hide it then really you aren’t dyslexic but you may just be a little behind your peers in some respects or may just even be average!

There was a time when I first really started to learn to write (at 30) with the aide of a PC that I use to post on forums as I wrote it totally uncorrected as I though why should I not, however I soon learned that the first thing people who can write do (adolescents & yanks being the worst) when they are wrong is sight your incorrect spelling & lack of punctuation etc as being why they are right especially when you are imparting technical information that they disagree with mainly to save face, but like I have always said to people the ability to read & write like age is NO guarantee of wisdom.

Anyway I know the above will/may sound a little arrogant or demeaning to some but that’s just tough like life sometimes or the hand you are dealt in it, what maters is how you get on with it. ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you to be dyslexic there MUST be a clear disparity between known intelligence vs. ability in reading, writing or both, there is NO such thing as “mild dyslexia” as that is just the new polite buzz words for being “below average” in one respect wile still being within the bands of being an “average” person.

e.g. if at 14 years old you have an IQ of 100 however your ability in e.g. writing only matches that of someone who has an IQ of 50 then there is clear disparity unlike someone who has an IQ of >75 in the same situation.

Taking the same 14 year old one would expect an average one to have a reading age equivalent to 14 year old, if that 14 year old has a reading age of 7 years old agene there is clear disparity indicating a problem rather than just being a little behind if they e.g. had a reading age of >10 years old.

I left school only able to write my name excluding my middle 2 names which I couldn’t spell & my address as long as I omitted the house name which agene I couldn’t spell, so really unless you post on forums with the aide of a well trained copy of e.g. MS Word to limit errata/duplicates/etc as well as to correct spelling, capitalisation etc or haven’t spent 20+ years after leaving school trying to learn how to as well as all the possible ways to hide it then really you aren’t dyslexic but you may just be a little behind your peers in some respects or may just even be average!

There was a time when I first really started to learn to write (at 30) with the aide of a PC that I use to post on forums as I wrote it totally uncorrected as I though why should I not, however I soon learned that the first thing people who can write do (adolescents & yanks being the worst) when they are wrong is sight your incorrect spelling & lack of punctuation etc as being why they are right especially when you are imparting technical information that they disagree with mainly to save face, but like I have always said to people the ability to read & write like age is NO guarantee of wisdom.

Anyway I know the above will/may sound a little arrogant or demeaning to some but that’s just tough like life sometimes or the hand you are dealt in it, what maters is how you get on with it. ;)

what a load of bull-white

of course theres diffrent strands/severitys of dyslexia, aswell as diffrent subtypes, just like other learning disabilitys such as autism, or any disability for that matter

some people may only struggle with simple things such as getting A's and E's mixed up, letters the wrong way round (b and d or d and b)

where as others such as your self struggle to get their head round reading and writing at-all

"2008 S Heim et al. in a paper "Cognitive subtypes of dyslexia" describe how they compared different sub-groups of dyslexics in comparison with a control group. This is one of the first studies not to just compare dyslexics with a non dyslexic control, but to go further and compared the different cognitive sub groups with a non dyslexic control group."

Dyslexia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whered you get all that about the reading/intelegence IQ? the ability of reading is only a fraction of what dyslexia consists of, a fracton that can vary in ranges from person to person

you should remember that if its on Wikipedia is NOT fact, truthfull or nesaseraly right, any idiot can write a page on Wikipedia ;)

whered you get all that about the reading/intelegence IQ? the ability of reading is only a fraction of what dyslexia consists of, a fracton that can vary in ranges from person to person

if you look you will see I said reading and writing

if you haven’t figured it yet you need to establish IQ/intelligence so you can assess the person with a baseline as to what you should expect from them, after all if you have IQ of 70 yet your writing ability is that of someone with an IQ of 60 then you may just be thick rather than being dyslexic unlike someone of a much higher IQ/intelligence but with the same low writing ability.

as I said there MUST be a clear disparity between known intelligence vs. ability in reading, writing or both or in other words the level of disparity must fall outside the normal bell curve of what you would expect at X IQ/intelligence level.

after all if you have IQ of 70 yet your writing ability is that of someone with an IQ of 60 then you may just be thick rather than being dyslexic unlike someone of a much higher IQ/intelligence but with the same low writing ability.

Spot on Mark!

Of course in our PC mad world no one is allowed to be just "thick", there has to be some identifiable disorder, so they can give them a label.

Some people are much less intelligent than others, thats just the way life is.

I remember working with a lad years ago, we were clearing up after a TD. I was sweeping and he was shoveling the bits into a barrow. He left the barrow several meters away and as he was carrying each shovel full of muck to the barrow, he was dropping bits all over were I had swept.

In my frustration I said "you can move the barrow further away if you like"

I turned round ans blow me, he HAD moved the barrow further away:blink:

Whilst you are absolutely right in that people will have widely differing abilities, we also need to be careful about those who are under-achieving.

Why? Because, they may have consistently under-achieved not through lack of ability, but through a lack of skills in reading / writing. It's up to trainers to recognise the ability levels of those they are training, and put information across in such a way that can help everyone. Oddly enough, it's through this personalised training, almost dealing with everyone differently, that we can try to achieve equality (i.e. giving everyone a chance to succeed - having said that, some will, some won't!).

I recently had a student who commented about other places treating them as "stupid", after I had provided course notes on coloured paper to help them read the text, and we were talking about his dyslexia.

So, although I recognise that IQ levels will have a major bearing on it all, we shouldn't consider someone as 'dumb' if they've not been able to learn through standard texts. It's about how the information is put across...

you should remember that if its on Wikipedia is NOT fact, truthfull or nesaseraly right, any idiot can write a page on Wikipedia ;)

if you look you will see I said reading and writing

if you haven’t figured it yet you need to establish IQ/intelligence so you can assess the person with a baseline as to what you should expect from them, after all if you have IQ of 70 yet your writing ability is that of someone with an IQ of 60 then you may just be thick rather than being dyslexic unlike someone of a much higher IQ/intelligence but with the same low writing ability.

as I said there MUST be a clear disparity between known intelligence vs. ability in reading, writing or both or in other words the level of disparity must fall outside the normal bell curve of what you would expect at X IQ/intelligence level.

fair enough regarding the known intelegence vs ability statement, but just because someone cant read aswell as their peers, doesnt nessaraily mean theyre thick, maybe it was the way they were taught? (the way that everyone else understands, perhaps that just doesnt work for some as well as others) after all, i was able to learn far more out of school, learning through doing.

some people just have different abilitys in diffrent areas, if someones falling behind, its up to the tutors/parents to realise that their child aint thick, just need a little extra help rather than being labled thick like you and huck appear to be doing. its not being pollitically correct giving them extra help, its being a good teacher by not giving up on those below average

fair enough, some people use being labled dyslexic as an excuse, just like overweight people use being overweight as an excuse not to walk 5 min to the shops, even though theyre tottaly capable

having a student in a class labled as dyslexic is not an excuse for the teacher or student to accept the fact that they may be below average, it should be a bloody great big flashing sign to the tutor that this person may need extra/re-explained help due to a recognised learning problem

some people just have different abilitys in diffrent areas, if someones falling behind, its up to the tutors/parents to realise that their child aint thick, just need a little extra help rather than being labled thick like you and huck appear to be doing. its not being pollitically correct giving them extra help, its being a good teacher by not giving up on those below average

I don't think any one is saying those with lower intellects should not receive help.

But not all people who struggle with literacy have dyslexia.

Dyslexics tend to be of average IQ or higher.

Sorry I'm a bit late in getting on to this thread.

i'm a LANTRA trainer and part time lecturer and dislexic[not too bad though], my wife is a languages teacher and also a dyslexia tutor and has done a fair bit of study on the subject as well as turn 100's of kids lifes around[not often I give her any praise]

She diagnosed me when I was 30, up till then I struggeled through just hiding from paper work etc. , I didn't have too bad a time at school in fact I was pretty much in the middle but told that I was lazy as I was capable of a lot more but just didn't bother with spelling /memorizing .

The college I work with has an absoltely fantastic learning support network, howevever you need to put in the work to get there like anyone else, infact a fair bit more , but thats life.

I lecture in Gamekeeping and like arb this subject draws a high % of people who have dificulties at school.

Must people who are dyslexic have excellent spacial awareness and are very practical, these skills to me are far more important in these fields that spelling!!!!! but there is spell check.

I try and bring as much hands on training as possible as well as visualisation rather than text, using comic sans text size 14 font on light blue paper helps many people. Also let students tape and video lectures.

I tell student Dyslexia,dyspraxia etc are not reasons for not doing well , they are only obstacles and once you have worked out how to get round an obstacle you are on the winning straight.