Over grown ivy

G13469

I found some large ivy and carried a bit out of the woods we were working in. I'm thinking about turning a bowl or two from it, just wondering if anyone has tried this from ivy before and with what success? The ivy log is next to my 260 with 16inch bar.

WP_000662.jpg.44f2b28abc67f84142aab81f30a274cc.jpg

WP_000664.jpg.57aebd18607808a8d03f68232f733dfc.jpg

WP_000661.jpg.4ead7857807139fbf67a3ea95b91eeeb.jpg

That's big ivy!

I've used ivy stem myself. Interesting stuff rather than beautiful, it's a rather dirty white colour with a few scattered but quite large medullary rays. Rather soft, it turns easily and has a bad smell when green.

This shouldn't be a surprise but articles made from it sell well in the few weeks before Christmas!

I have experimented a bit with ivy in the past and more recently, but not large diameter stuff though , I like the very contorted/fused stem type pieces , and have some nice curved bits drying at the moment which I intend to carve some shark jaw bones from !!! I think it has great potential for use in woodcraft , but as yet under used . I hope you try something and let us know how you get on !

So after your encouragement I carried out another length of the ivy, over 5 feet, that makes near 9 ft in the garden and 3 more waiting in the woods. If anyone wants some let me know and we can try to sort out getting it to you, I'll never get around to using it all.

And the ends have been painted with undercoat, hope that's alright

WP_000686.jpg.0736ec842e8dd3b37e2f82fee6716e52.jpg

So after your encouragement I carried out another length of the ivy, over 5 feet, that makes near 9 ft in the garden and 3 more waiting in the woods. If anyone wants some let me know and we can try to sort out getting it to you, I'll never get around to using it all.

And the ends have been painted with undercoat, hope that's alright

That's a serious chunk of ivy! What'll you make with it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app