Fair price for a trailer

Chilledbud

Good morning :thumbup1:

Since we've come to the point where we need a trailer for dump runs, moving a few things from house to house and such, I've just started looking for a trailer the last few days.

Since there seems to be a rather large degree in price and quality it's a bit of a mine field!

I found a trailer for sale locally, and was wondering if the pricing is about right before going to look at her tonight.

All I know is :

8ft x 5ft trailer not braked

Stainless steel frame with aluminium sides and bottom.

Great condition.

Not known operating weight, but only ever used for 1 tonne.

No jockey wheel which is small pain, but easily add one for £30.

Going to view it tonight, and should it be in fairy good condition, what's a fair price to pay for a trailer like this?

Pictures sent are:

34ycqo3.jpg

2cen8jq.jpg

Got to be under £100.

No brakes limits you to 750kg including the trailer- hence that double axle is pointless extra weight as they are not braked. They also make manoeuvring, particularly by hand, harder than it needs to be.

Those lights are just begging to be knocked off the first time you use it.

Would be a lot more useful with a proper ramp back.

My personal opinion is that you would be a lot better off with a second hand single axle Ifor with a proper ramp.

That's given me food for thought! He's asking £300 for it, so I imagine I did well posting on here first!

First glance I just assumed all double axled would be braked, but it doesn't seem the case when I asked him about it.

Living down the road from Ifor it would be lovely to have one, but with a budget not keen on going North of £300 I won't be able to even buy a side of one.

walk away from it and find one thats manufactured and not homemade etc in the longterm it will hold its value better and make sure its got all its weight plates/chassis numbers on etc oh and brakes lol you will need them as like a car you would,nt buy a car with no chassis numbers or brakes etc lol

I bought an IW GD10x5 at the end of last year.

To say it's turned my business around is no word of a lie. Fencing is sooooo much easier now. No reliance on deliveries and much easier to shop around for better prices for my close board as I can collect with ease.

It was a bargain to boot which was nice but a tad more than £300 :001_smile:

Buy something you'd be gutted if it got nicked.

IW trailers hold there value and are lovely to tow.

Tim

I made my own little trailer many years ago with 500kg indespension units and just big enough to sit a 48"x40" pallet in the bottom. It has done countless tip runs and fetched sand and ballast for numerous projects as well as gardening supplies. Unbraked does not automatically allow you 750kg, you are also governed by the weight of the towing vehicle and it's maximum nose weight. From the AA site

Unbraked trailers

The maximum you may tow – combined weight of trailer and load – using an unbraked trailer is 750 kg.

The towing vehicle must have a kerbside weight at least twice the loaded weight of the trailer.

I also fitted an arrester cable on mine as there was a nasty accident with a child in a pushchair killed by a runaway trailer in Heage near here a few years ago.