New husqvarna climbing saw any good?

jack88

Choke first thing and then only if its been sat for over 10 mins here... Some feathering on first startup but as stubby says I just let mine idle for a few secs.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got two and both are total dogs when cold and even need a bit of warming up after five/ ten minutes climbing without use. You're right, the rear AV is a design flaw - got one saw trapped in the kerf when blocking down and it pulled the damn thing apart - H|T cap shredded and fuel pipes split.

Also gotta get a stihl chain on it as the husky one is wafty as hell

On the other hand it is nicely balanced and IMO more precise than Stihl and as is so frequently pointed out the alternative is horrible!

Ran mine with Aspen out the box. Starts after one cough on choke, or fires first go and a quick flip off choke and it keeps running.

All the new saws seem to cool quickly, but getting used to starting on choke after I've repositioned.

Much happier with it than the 201, although my mates one is running ok.

I think the choice of saw is more and more about application, if you want a solid metal pot to bash about the canopy then a 201 is your saw.. if you want a cutting tool that's more delicate but agressive in the cut its the 540, seems there is now a trade off on strength vs power.. I'm happy with my 540 but I've never swung my saw about, I can see how people used to a solid 200 would dislike the 540 on build, but imo the 201 lacks the power deep into the cut which I feel could stop your cuts performing as they should.

I think this is a pretty sensible post.

I see climbers who drop the saw on the full length of the strop after every cut, (don't ask me why), and I don't think the 540 would like this much.

As said, the rear AV does seem to be a weak point.

3 days dismantling oaks so far with mine and I'm loving it.

I've got the power!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I think the choice of saw is more and more about application, if you want a solid metal pot to bash about the canopy then a 201 is your saw.. if you want a cutting tool that's more delicate but agressive in the cut its the 540, seems there is now a trade off on strength vs power

This is true, but would it not be nice to have a saw that had both, like 020 and 200 did?

I agree the 540 has the power, but other than that its pretty poor IMO.

I think Stihl did husqy a huge favour with the 201, I think its the 540's main selling feature :sneaky2:

Maybe someone could cross-breed a 201 with a 540?

There is a risk though, that the offspring would be both fragile and gutless in the cut!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Your a funny man mark.. I believe Adam already has a pic of this in action on his fb... Should ask him how the puppies are..