bumble B

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think your link works Marcus.

I assume this is what you were posting?

Instagram

That's a little worrying, but good job it was spotted and this particular 1 retired before it failed and someone got hurt, I'll be keeping an eye on the proceedings of this as was thinking of ordering 1 as an end of tax year treat but don't want to get used to a new system for it to be recalled again.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Before anyone starts, I'm not saying the metal failure on the ZZ is ok.

Looking at the picture the ZZ in question doesn't look particularly loved. And/or it's done some hard, dirty work. Things do break in this industry and whilst it looks alarming, I'd be interested to see the age, time in service and weekly check sheets for this device.

Also, the point at which the device has cracked is not uber critical to the performance of the tool or to the safety. Unlike the fail on the ZZ1, this component part is one of several that share the load. I'd also like to see an independent engineers report on how this may have occurred. I'm sure Petzl take this sort of thing seriously and they should by now have contacted the poster to inspect the device. it's all very well jumping to conclusions about Petzl's perceived lack of care and attention, we don't know all the facts.

I'm still getting used to my ZZ, though I do prefer it to the LJ. Daily checks and keep your kit in good order.

I have had the occasion when on a swing the side of the links have come into contact with a branch...pretty sure thats how that crack came into being as there is little give on that axis....a weak point to be mindful of maybe??

A point well made. Any mechanical device used in an external, organic environment has the potential to fail when loaded. Whether it's a karabiner, a ZZ, car suspension system, a bridge or the beer fridge out back.

Check regularly and use sensibly

Before anyone starts, I'm not saying the metal failure on the ZZ is ok.

Looking at the picture the ZZ in question doesn't look particularly loved. And/or it's done some hard, dirty work. Things do break in this industry and whilst it looks alarming, I'd be interested to see the age, time in service and weekly check sheets for this device.

Also, the point at which the device has cracked is not uber critical to the performance of the tool or to the safety. Unlike the fail on the ZZ1, this component part is one of several that share the load. I'd also like to see an independent engineers report on how this may have occurred. I'm sure Petzl take this sort of thing seriously and they should by now have contacted the poster to inspect the device. it's all very well jumping to conclusions about Petzl's perceived lack of care and attention, we don't know all the facts.

I'm still getting used to my ZZ, though I do prefer it to the LJ. Daily checks and keep your kit in good order.

I know the climber who owns the cracked zig zag and he is super anal about his kit and checks it regularly. The ZZ was also a 2nd gen so pretty new